Group of Woonsocket Residents File Suit to Block Supplemental Tax
Tuesday, August 20, 2013
The lawsuit was filed last week in RI Superior Court by taxpayer advocate attorney Robert Senville on behalf of a group of Woonsocket taxpayers, "contesting the legality of the supplemental property tax bills sent out last month by the city. The lawsuit contends the supplemental tax bills are unlawful because of several factors," according to a press release issued by RI Taxpayers.
Rhode Island Taxpayers advocates for honest, effective, and fiscally sound government on behalf of Rhode Island taxpayers. Rhode Island Taxpayers, formerly RI Statewide Coalition, founded in 2003, was spun out of a South County oriented watchdog group called the “RI Shoreline Coalition."
"It is not complicated,” says Woonsocket taxpayer James Cournoyer, who is one of the named plaintiffs. “The savings have not yet been realized; rather, they have only been projected. Thus, the supplemental tax should not yet be issued."
"This is the right course of action for the already burdened taxpayers of Woonsocket,” adds RI Taxpayers spokesperson Monique Chartier. “What makes it further troubling is the fact that this supplemental tax bill is not a one time increase, but now becomes the basis for an increased property tax rate going forward. The residents can’t absorb more taxes, period."
RI Taxpayers, formerly the RI Statewide Coalition, has partnered with the Woonsocket taxpayers group in the past, in particular, during the public outcry over the origins of the multi-million dollar school budget deficit that accelerated the city to the brink of bankruptcy two years ago.
- 2,000 Gather in Support of Woonsocket War Memorial
- Can Woonsocket be Spared from Bankruptcy?
- RI State Report: Minimum Wage, Woonsocket + Cutting School Days
- Tight Three-Way Race Expected in Woonsocket’s 49th District
- Greenway Challenge Race to Benefit Woonsocket Elementary School
- Guest MINDSETTER™ David Fisher: Woonsocket’s Waste Issues
- Woonsocket #38: RI’s Best Communities 2012
- Woonsocket #38: RI’s Best Communities 2013
- Woonsocket Accused of Underfunding Own Schools by Millions
- Woonsocket Faces Financial Chaos
- Woonsocket Prepares To Celebrate 125th Birthday
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Garrett S. Mancieri: Woonsocket’ has More than Financial Problems
- LISTEN: Woonsocket’s Financial Chaos
- NEW: Baldelli-Hunt Wins, Brien Loses in Woonsocket
- NEW: Budget Commission Appointed in Woonsocket
- NEW: Doherty to Open Woonsocket Headquarters
- NEW: Reed Announces $50,000 “Our Town” NEA Grant for Woonsocket
- NEW: Watson Calls for Woonsocket Tax Hike Vote to be Postponed
- NEW: Woonsocket Funeral Home Owner Pleads Guilty to 30 Counts of Embezzlement
- NEW: Woonsocket Lawmakers Call for Reimbursement Rates for Landmark Hospital
- NEW: Woonsocket May be Forced to Close School
- NEW: Woonsocket’s Equipment Fails, Mayor Needs Private Plows
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.