Former Scalise Staffer & RI Native Discusses the Shooting and the Impact on Congress
Thursday, June 15, 2017
"This baseball practice has happened year after year...it was a normal morning, 6 a.m. on a baseball field," said Sullivan, who is currently the President of Lean Campaign Strategies in Virginia. "What I keep going back to, because [Scalise] is in leadership, he has security detail."
"If [security] wasn't there -- we could be talking about something far worse that could have happened today," said Sullivan who grew up in Cumberland and attended Hendricken for high school.
Recalling World Post-Giffords
"Part of these discussions happened after former Congresswoman (Gabrielle) Giffords, about security detail," said Sullivan, of the former Congresswoman who was shot in 2011.
"Coming from Rhode Island down to DC, I was shocked -- a lot of members don't have security detail, they take walks around, take Uber and go to fundraisers - events for the most part [that are] safe, but it could become a question of how many members need security."
"[He's] a great guy, competitive guy -- if I know him, he'd want this game to happen [Thursday]," said Sullivan, of the charity Congressional baseball game planned, which has already raised hundreds of thousands of dollars.
"He's a father, husband, he's got two kids, he's a public servant," said Sullivan of Scalise. "He cares about what he does. We need to stop talk about about Republicans and Democrats - everyone there believes they want to do better for the county. Period."
Softening Party Lines?
"At time we tend to forget with politics and the campaign world that we're Americans first," said Sullivan. "Either you agree with Rs or Ds, [but] they want to do better for country."
"After Giffords, member of Congress during that State of the Union would sit with each other's party," said Sullivan. "Nancy Pelosi said on floor, you might not hear this from me, but I agree with Speaker Ryan's comments."
- Shooting in DC, Congressman and Others Wounded UPDATED
- ABC6’s “In The Arena” - Police Shooting, GOP Convention and More
- GoLocalTV: Vault Bouncers Subpoenaed by City of Providence Following Shooting
- Cicilline Ally Pichardo Overrules Providence Police, Reopens The Vault After Shooting
- New England Pride TV’s LePage Condemns Orlando Shootings
- Vault Nightclub Forced to Close Again Following Shooting, Hit with More Sanctions
- Poor Shooting Costs Bryant in 100-78 Loss to Saint Francis in NEC Quarterfinal
- Shooting, Stabbing Get Licenses Revoked for Aqua, Van Gogh Nightclubs in Providence
- Victim in Providence Shooting Identified, Listed in Serious Condition
- BREAKING: Shooting in Downtown Providence (UPDATED)
- Shooting Near Planned Parenthood Clinic in Colorado Springs
- UPDATED: Suspect in Deadly NY Penn Station Shooting Captured in RI
- Finneran: Stop Shooting Cops
- Hernandez Indicted for Shooting Witness in the Face
- Interfaith Memorial Vigil will be Held Locally for Charleston Shooting Victims
- Horowitz: Another Public Mass Shooting - It’s Time to Do More Than Nothing
- UPDATED: 3 Are Dead from Shooting and Stabbings at Taunton’s Galleria Mall
- NEW: 50 Killed in Florida Nightclub Shooting
- NEW: Reports of 5 Dead, Multiple Injured in Shooting at Ft. Lauderdale Airport
- 9 Injured in Shooting at Ohio State University