Former RI Tax Preparer Sentenced to 36 Months in Prison for Tax Prep Fraud
Friday, December 02, 2016
Belkin Guzman, 48, was sentenced to 36 months in prison for aiding and assisting in the preparation of false tax returns, wire fraud, theft of government funds and aggravated identity theft, according to Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General Caroline Ciraolo
Guzman was a former employee of El Centro Multiservicios LLC, a tax preparation business that is located in Providence. he was involved in two separate schemes.
The first scheme involved the preparation and presentation of false individual income tax returns (Forms 1040) on behalf of El Centro clients for tax years 2009, 2010, and 2011, on which Guzman created, inflated and falsified dependents, exemptions, credits, deductions, and expenses.
The second scheme involved the deposit of over 100 U.S. Treasury checks into Guzman’s personal checking account. The Treasury checks were generated by the filing of fraudulent individual income tax returns containing stolen personal identifying information and fraudulent amounts of income, deductions, and credits. Guzman helped the scheme by depositing more than $800,700 in fraudulently obtained refund checks into her bank account after signing many of the checks in place of the payees who were unknown to her, and then providing a majority of the proceeds to a third party in the form of cash and personal checks.
Guzman received a percentage as payment for depositing the checks into her account.
Guzman previously pleaded guilty on September 8 to aiding and assisting in the preparation of false tax returns, wire fraud, theft of government funds and aggravated identity theft.
In addition to the prison term imposed, Guzman was also ordered to serve three years of supervised release and to pay $928,224.95 in restitution to the IRS.
- Providence Police at City Hall Following Bomb Threat Friday Morning
- NEW: Photos of SUV in Fatal Hit-and-Run Released by Providence Police
- Providence Police: 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015
- Providence Police Sergeant Saves Man From Jumping Off Henderson Bridge
- NEW: North Providence Police Union Votes No Confidence in Acting Chief
- Breaking: Providence Police Evacuate Westminster Street—Possible Bomb Threat
- NEW: Providence Police Seek Suspect in Child Abduction
- NEW: Providence Police Investigating Hate Crime on East Side
- Rally for Black Major in Providence Police Department at City Hall Today
- Rep. Almeida Joins Movement for Black Major in Providence Police
- Don Roach: Don’t Force Diversity on the Providence Police Department
- NEW: Three Protesters Chained to Textron Building Arrested by Providence Police
- Ret. Providence Police Officer Killed Wife and Stuffed Her in Trunk
- Who’s Investigating Providence Police Beating Caught on Tape?
- Providence Police Supervisor Arrested for Allegedly Drunkenly Spitting in Face of 17-Year- Old Girl
- FBI, State Police, and Providence Police Search for Escaped Alleged Murderer
- No Action by Providence Police on Beating Video, Two Months Later
- Discrepancies Between Providence Police Beating Video and Police Report
- Community Leaders React to Providence Police Officer Beating Woman
- Former Providence Police Chief Esserman Gets No-Confidence Vote in New Haven
- Cicilline Ally Pichardo Overrules Providence Police, Reopens The Vault After Shooting
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Providence Police Caught on Tape Beating Woman
- GoLocalTV: NAACP’s Jim Vincent Condemns Providence Police Action
- ACLU Calls for Answers Before Providence Police Deploy Body Cameras