EXCLUSIVE: Senate Committee Investigating Central Falls Schools
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
“The Senate Government Oversight Committee is looking into questions about school safety, management issues, and labor issues,” said state Sen. James Sheehan, a vice chairman of the committee and a school teacher in Warwick.
“There are no definite plans to hold hearings but at this stage I can tell you have formulated questions … to basically investigate some of the allegations that have been made,” he added.
He said those questions will be delivered to the Central Falls Board of Trustees by the end of this week. Depending on how they answer, Sheehan said the Senate committee will decide whether to proceed with a full-fledged investigation.
State Senator John Tassoni, who several weeks ago, called for the resignation of Superintendent Frances Gallo and forensic audit of district finances said he felt vindicated that his colleagues were getting involved. “I’m glad that it has been brought to the attention of my colleagues and that they may feel worthy of holding a hearing on it,” said Tassoni, D-Smithfield.
The Senate probe comes on the heels of a GoLocalProv investigative series on the school district that revealed, among other things, that the superintendent was keeping several administrators on the payroll—despite being on long-term leave or having resigned; that the district had pulled the school resource officer out of its middle and high schools; and that several employees had been terminated for speaking out on the management of the district.
Tassoni said credited the GoLocalProv reports with “absolutely” helping to bring the issue to the attention of his colleagues. “Most definitely anything that brought it out to the attention of the public is good,” Tassoni said.
A spokeswoman for the Central Falls School District said local officials had not been notified of the Senate action. But she said they would cooperate with any investigation.
“We appreciate your inquiry, but haven't received any communication from the Senate Government Oversight Commission about their plans at this time. If and when they do reach out to the district, we will gladly comply with their request,” spokeswoman Yaviri Grosso told GoLocalProv.
If you valued this article, please LIKE GoLocalProv.com on Facebook by clicking HERE.
- A LIVELY EXPERIMENT May 19, 2011 Central Falls Schools
- AG Candidate Little Tied to Central Falls Mayor
- BREAKING NEWS: Central Falls Teachers Say It’s a Deal
- BREAKING NEWS: Central Falls Union Votes No Confidence in Gallo
- BREAKING NEWS: Chafee to Keep Central Falls Receive for One More Month
- BREAKING NEWS: Gist - Central Falls Teachers, Administration Reach a Deal
- BREAKING NEWS: Gist Speaks Out on Central Falls School District
- BREAKING NEWS: State Senator Calls for Central Falls Superintendent to Resign
- Central Falls & Pawtucket Merger: How Would It Affect RI?
- Central Falls Blocks School Principal from Working
- Central Falls Broke, Judge Names Receiver
- Central Falls Coverup - Students Not Properly Immunized
- Central Falls Elementary School Slated for Closure
- Central Falls Parents Plan Rally for Schools
- Central Falls Principal Takes School District to Court
- Central Falls Receiver Appoints His Own Council
- Central Falls School District Get $1.3 Million Grant
- Central Falls Teacher: Why I Resigned
- Central Falls Teachers Vote No Confidence in Gallo
- Central Falls Teachers: Don’t Blame Us
- Central Falls-Pawtucket Merger: Residents Speak Out
- Central Falls—Blame the Teachers
- Councilman Calls for Central Falls Mayor to Resign
- Critics: Central Falls Receiver Sets ‘Dangerous Precedent’
- EDITORIAL: Central Falls - Let’s Merge It
- EXCLUSIVE: Central Falls School ‘Whistleblower’ Punished
- EXCLUSIVE: Felon Serving on Central Falls School Board
- EXCLUSIVE: Fired Providence Teacher Hired in Central Falls
- Gallo—Teachers Blocking Transformation of Central Falls High
- Gist: Reform at Central Falls Now Can Move at ‘Light Speed’
- Gist—State Will Review Criminal Record of Central Falls Trustee
- GoLocalProv Uncovers ‘Pay to Play’ in Central Falls
- Is It Time to Abolish the City of Central Falls?
- Moody’s Down Grades Central Falls Again
- NEW: Central Falls Receiver: Merge City with Pawtucket
- NEW: Central Falls School Board Chair Defends Superintendent
- NEW: Central Falls Superintendent Speaks Out on Teacher Assault
- NEW: Central Falls – No Explanation for MIA Administrators
- NEW: Chafee—‘Running out of Time’ to Fix Central Falls Budget
- NEW: Community Groups Support Central Falls Superintendent
- NEW: Gist to Hold Community Forum in Central Falls This Week
- Over 100 Central Falls Teachers Face Layoffs
- Senator Calls for Forensic Audit of Central Falls Schools
- Should Central Falls Be Merged?
- Should Central Falls be merged?
- Three Central Falls School Administrators Missing in Action
- UPDATED: Chafee, General Assembly Leaders Weigh in on Central Falls
- UPDATED: Flanders Leaves Board of Regents to be Central Falls Receiver
- Violence on the Rise at Central Falls Schools
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.