Elorza’s Stance on Immigration Called “Lip Service” by Progressive Labor Leader
Thursday, March 23, 2017
"Mayor Elorza held a (yet another) press conference on immigration. If we are to protect our people, all of them, you must have a plan. Pass the CSA will do so much more to protect our community than a presser," wrote Mike Araujo in a post on Facebook. Araujo is the Executive Director at RI Jobs with Justice.
While Providence - and Rhode Island - are on the federal government's recent list of jurisdictions that have enacted policies limiting cooperation with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for its policy of not honoring ICE detainers, Araujo said that Providence - and Elorza - could do more.
"Order police to not use electronic fingerprinting that automatically send to ICE linked systems. Instruct local neighborhood watchers to look out for ICE raiders. Order schools to open for shelter. He literally has not done anything," wrote Araujo.
Announcement and Reaction
Elorza's announcement Tuesday said that the Mayor was "proud to join a coalition of over 60 mayors in 31 states to stand up and support our immigrant communities."
“Today, our country is great, not in spite of, but because of our immigrant heritage. As Mayor, I will continue to reassure our immigrant community that they are welcome and appreciated in our city, to support our Dreamers, and to work with my colleagues across the country to advocate for comprehensive immigration reform," said Elorza.
Araujo spoke to the lack of action on the Community Safety Act (CSA) by Elorza as being at odds with his statements of working to protect the community.
"[Elorza] made public comments at a public forum to pass to the CSA -- it was a clear statement that affects youth of color, and he said he would do it," said Araujo. "And it was for passing it is original form, including real accountability and oversight of police forces and non-cooperation of police officers -- and to slowly walk that back is disturbing."
Araujo acknowledged that the CSA had to go through the City Council first, which has yet to take action.
"And as far as immigration goes, this is the most clear tool the [Elorza] administration would have above all than being just a sanctuary city in name," said Araujo. "We saw the rush following Trump -- if you take him at his word -- that communities are at risk. In Colorado, for example, school departments issued statements that no children could be removed from school. They said this community is committed to each student and family."
"That is just one step. Right now, it's effectively a 'non-policy' that Providence is a sanctuary city," said Araujo. "Arguably for Providence, there are two clear paths. There's a legal path -- and I'm not an attorney -- but policy-wise says we protect all our residents, school departments and our youth, and directs police departments not to comp with ICE."
"And there's the social part, in how welcome people into our community, with services, housing, food," said Araujo. "In Providence, because we're so beautifully mixed, that what's we do."
- GoLocalTV: Elorza Evades Questions On Auditor’s Claim that City is Off $7M on Fire Contract
- Internal Auditor: Elorza’s Claimed Savings on Firefighters’ Contract is Off $7M
- Elorza Miscalculates, More Budget and Firefighter Chaos
- Elorza: “Providence Will Continue to Arrest Individuals on ICE Warrants”
- Elorza’s Latest Firefighter Savings Claim Off $11M, Says City Auditor
- Elorza Picks $1,000 Donor to Represent City in Jackson Recall Case
- Fired Providence City Worker Gets Multimillion-Dollar Contract from Elorza Administration
- Elorza’s Office SUV Gets Booted and Seized for Excessive Tickets
- Bob Whitcomb’s Digital Diary: Raimondo Re-Election, Elorza and Panhandling, and Assage
- Elorza’s Firefighter Contract is Deeply Flawed Says Finance Chair Igliozzi
- Aponte, Finance Committee Pull Support for Elorza’s $40M Providence Infrastructure Bond
- Activist Blasts Elorza for Lack of Concern for Anti-Jewish Hate Crimes
- Gov. Raimondo’s Chief-of-Staff Smiley Owns Company Fundraising for Elorza
- Elorza Claims Progress in State of the City, But Critics Raise Serious Concerns
- Elorza Defiant to Trump’s Executive Order Challenging Sanctuary Cities, Could Cost Providence $70M
- Fecteau: Is Providence a Sanctuary City? Don’t Ask Mayor Elorza
- Top Watchdog Alleges Elorza Received Illegal Contribution from Roger Williams University
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Taub: I Call Upon Mayor Elorza to Create the Prov Jewish Council
- Elorza’s Spending Binge on Attorneys Draws Fire — See Which Firms Raked in the Most
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Tom Kenney: Pare & Elorza Still Have No Clue About the Fire Department
- Moore: Elorza Should Propose a Municipal Income Tax
- Raimondo, Elorza Refuse Comment on Donations from Construction Co. Hit by Feds
- ABC6’s “In the Arena” - Providence Activists Say Board of Licenses is Corrupt Under Elorza
- Under Elorza, Outside Legal Fees Double to $2M, Many of the Firms Are Big Donors
- Elorza Proposes 150% Increase in Hotel Tax to Help Balance Providence’s Budget Problems
- Rob Horowitz: Progress on Comprehensive Immigration Reform
- Rhode Island a Prime Example of Split on Immigration Reform
- Rob Horowitz: Immigration Reform Moves Forward
- Rob Horowitz: Tough Fight Coming On Immigration Reform
- Rob Horowitz: Comprehensive Immigration Reform Is Back
- LISTEN: RI Split on Immigration Reform
- Don Roach: Immigration reform appears imminent
- Don Roach: An Equitable Solution to Illegal Immigration
- Rob Horowitz: Immigration Reform Moves to the Front Burner
- Rob Horowitz: Progress Possible On Immigration Reform
- New: Block Calls on Fung to Explain Immigration Freedom Ride Support
- Guest Mindsetter™ Pimentel: Immigration, Driver’s Licenses and the Fight for Civil Rights
- Horowitz: The Trump Immigration Debacle
- Few RI GOP Leaders Speak Out on Trump’s Immigration Order
- Langevin Says Yates Made “Right Decision” to go Against Trump’s Executive Order on Immigration
- President Obama’s Speech on Immigration
- Rob Horowitz: Obama’s Immigration Executive Order; Good Policy and Good Politics
- Donald Trump and Immigration in the United States
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Santos: Illegal Immigration, Washington & Wall Street
- RI ACLU to Fight Trump Immigration Issues Town by Town Through Ordinances
- Mental Health Legislation, Immigration Legislation: This Week at the State House
- Trump Campaign Signals Potential Shift on Immigration Stance
- GOP Debate Recap: Trump Talks the Most, Immigration the Top Issue
- NEW: Supreme Court Strikes Down Majority of Arizona Immigration Law
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Terry Gorman: Deck is Stacked Against RI on Illegal Immigration