EDITORIAL: Brown Listens
Monday, February 26, 2018
The five structures included:
* Norwood/Benjamin Stevens House - 82 Waterman
* A house at 86 Waterman
* Leonard M. Blodgett House - 127 Angell
* Edward J. Cushing House - 129 Angell
* Lucien Sharp Carriage House - 135 Angell
Brown’s plan was met with strong opposition from neighbors, the Brown community, and historic preservationists.
In a December editorial, GoLocal wrote,
“In the past few years, Brown has demolished numerous historically important structures -- more than two dozen in the past two decades.
Historic mansions, carriage houses, and, ultimately, Providence’s history are all being smashed down for Brown’s building boom. Much of Brown’s newer construction has claimed a vast array of Providence’s most beautiful buildings.”
Just two months later, Brown has reconfigured the plan, moving the proposed project across Angell Street, and preserving the historic buildings, limiting the impact to moving just one building — the historic Sharpe House.
Brown deserves credit for listening and revising.
- EDITORIAL: 10 Tweets from RI’s Congressional Delegation that Define U.S. Political Discourse
- EDITORIAL: PawSox Owners Ask is Failed Community Leadership and Ultimate Greed
- EDITORIAL: Cicilline Lives in the Past While MA is Adding More Than 2,500 Amazon Jobs
- EDITORIAL: Raimondo’s Hedge Fund Problem
- EDITORIAL: Mr. Reed, We Knew John Chafee and Claiborne Pell and We Wish You Were Like Them
- EDITORIAL: Time For Providence Public Safety Director Pare to Go
- EDITORIAL: “Landing Norwegian Air is Rhode Island at Its Finest”
- EDITORIAL: The House Passed the Stupidest and Most Insulting Bill - Maybe Ever
- EDITORIAL: Raimondo’s College Plan, Fix the Foundation Before Building on the Addition
- Cranston Firefighter Response to GoLocal Editorial
- EDITORIAL: 99%, “My Life Sucks,” Dogfighting, and Brady’s Brain
- EDITORIAL: Surplus in Providence? Only in Elorza’s World
- EDITORIAL: Brown’s Demolition Strategy, Where is Antoinette Downing?
- EDITORIAL: Kilmartin’s Perverse Behavior
- EDITORIAL: The PawSox Stadium Solution
- EDITORIAL: Want to Rebuild Trust With Rhode Islanders? Let Them Vote on the PawSox Stadium
- EDITORIAL: GoLocal LIVE’s First Anniversary
- EDITORIAL: Those Who Should Be Protecting Retirees Are Blocking The Effort to Investigate
- EDITORIAL: It’s Time for Ethics Commission to Look at Smiley, Inc.
- EDITORIAL: Providence’s Grisly Decline
- EDITORIAL: Why We Hired One of America’s Most Respected Pollsters
- EDITORIAL: Picketing Raimondo’s Home is Over the Line
- EDITORIAL: Providence’s Grisly Decline (PART 2)
- EDITORIAL: Raimondo Denial of Ties to NRA Money - “We Call BS”