Cranston Man Indicted, Arrested on Federal Firearms & Drug Trafficking Charges
Thursday, August 17, 2017
Derek Plomaritis, 26 was ordered detained following his arraignment in U.S. District Court on a 5-count federal indictment that charges him with making false statements to licensed firearms dealers and on Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) forms when purchasing a total of four firearms; being in possession of firearms in furtherance of drug trafficking crimes; being in possession of a firearm while being an unlawful user of a controlled substance; and possession with the intent to distribute marijuana.
During the November 2016 purchase of a 9mm semi-automatic pistol and a 7.62 mm semi-automatic pistol from a federally licensed firearms dealer, and the January 2017 acquisition of a Glock 9mm semi-automatic pistol and a Beretta 9mm semi-automatic pistol from a second licensed firearms dealer, it is alleged that Plomaritis falsely answered a question on ATF forms about unlawful use of marijuana, narcotics or any other controlled substance.
According to information presented to the court, on June 6, 2017, an ATF agent contacted Plomaritis to meet and discuss his purchase of the firearms. Plomaritis agreed to meet at the ATF office to speak with the agent, and said that he was on his way. He failed to appear. Rather, a Cranston Police detective assisting ATF with the investigation observed Plomaritis leaving the area of his residence, speeding and running stop signs in a Mercedes.
A short time later, Plomaritis was seen by the same detective on a motorbike, speeding and running stop signs before returning to the driveway of his residence. The detective followed behind and identified himself in the driveway of Plomaritis’ residence. Plomaritis tried to leave on the motorbike, but was blocked by the detective.
The detective allegedly detected an odor of marijuana on and around Plomaritis. It is alleged that the detective discovered marijuana and one of the firearms purchased by Plomaritis inside a backpack carried by Plomaritis. The detective also smelled marijuana coming from the residence and observed from the basement window of the residence, a marijuana grow.
A search of Plomaritis’ residence with Plomaritis’ consent allegedly resulted in the seizure of 13 adult marijuana plants, 24 seedlings, and more than 700 grams of marijuana in plastic bags stashed in attic space above a hallway closet.
The three other firearms purchased by Plomaritis, along with approximately 11 magazines and a substantial amount of ammunition, were also seized from the residence. One of the two loaded firearms found inside the residence was found on a dining room chair feet away from a child’s high chair.
Related Slideshow: Providence Crime By the Numbers - 2016
- Former Rep. Palumbo Arrested for Embezzling from Campaign Account
- RI Prison Escapee Morales Arrested by MA State Police, Prison Officials React in Central Falls
- NEW: One of RI’s Top 10 Most Wanted Fugitives Arrested in Ohio
- Suspect in Federal Hill Dolce Villa Robbery Arrested
- Providence Residents in Possession of 5 Kilos of Cocaine Worth $150,000 Arrested
- Top RI Comedian, Former Rhode Show Host Arrested on Cocaine Charges
- Elorza: “Providence Will Continue to Arrest Individuals on ICE Warrants”
- New York Men Arrested in West Greenwich for Possession of 2,295 Oxycodone Pills
- Providence Police Supervisor Arrested for Allegedly Drunkenly Spitting in Face of 17-Year- Old Girl
- Prov. Police Arrest Sex Offender for Taking Photo Up Woman’s Skirt at Prov. Place Mall
- NEW: Hells Angels Associate Arrested in Rhode Island on Drug, Weapons Charge
- UPDATED: Chair of Providence GOP Arrested for Child Molestation
- Mini Crime Spree: Two Providence Employees Arrested, One Suspended
- Providence Man Arrested on Gun & Child Abuse Charges
- 79 People Arrested, 344 Citations Issued by RI State Police Over Holiday Weekend
- National Assn of Black Law Enforcement Officer Criticize Trump’s Position on Arrests
- ACLU Settles Lawsuit With Tiverton Over 3rd Grader Searched & Arrested Without Cause
- UPDATED: Providence Police Arrest 30 in “Operation Stop the Flow” Heroin Sting
- Special Education Teacher Arrested for Possession of Child Porn
- 3 Providence Brothers, Previously Deported, Arrested for Leading Major Drug Cartel
- New York Man Arrested With Nearly 50 Pounds of Marijuana on Rt 95 in Hopkinton
- Boy Scout Master and Son Arrested By State Police for Child Porn
- One Arrest Made in Club Melee Caught on Video, Others Still Being Sought