Congressman Langevin Participates in 4th “Congressional Foster Youth Shadow Day”
Thursday, May 21, 2015
Blanca Merced of Johnston spent the day with Langevin, joining more than 60 other foster youth alumni from across the country that traveled to Capitol Hill to shadow members of Congress to share their experiences in the child welfare system.
“I am thrilled to have Blanca in my office today. She went through a traumatic experience that no child should have to face, and yet she emerged strong and eager to advocate on behalf of other foster youth. Her story is one of resilience and is representative of the challenges faced by the nearly 400,000 children in foster care today,” said Langevin about the day.
When Merced was six weeks old, she was removed from her mother's care and placed with her grandmother. At 15 years old, authorities then removed her from her grandmother's custody, citing an unsafe home environment. From that point, Merced was in and out of multiple foster home placements until she aged out of the system at 18.
Merced met Langevin in his office on Wednesday morning to discuss foster care and what can be done to improve the system.
"I became involved with the Foster Shadow Day because I want to be a pioneer for change in the foster care system in Rhode Island,” said Merced.
Last month, Langevin introduced the Protecting Adopted Children Act, with the goal of ending the practice of adopted children being privately "re-homed" into the custody of strangers without any oversight.
“All children deserve a safe, loving home and the opportunity to succeed. We can - and must - do more to ensure that is possible," Langevin added.
- NEW: Langevin Announces 2013 Service Academy Nominations
- NEW: Langevin Warns of Fiscal Cliff Impact on Clean Energy Development
- Congressman Langevin Appears on MSNBC
- NEW: Langevin & Cicilline Blast GOP Over Hurricane Sandy Funds
- NEW: Langevin Says More Needs to be Done After Passage of Sandy Relief Bill
- NEW: Langevin Calls for Changes to Nation’s Voting System
- Langevin Wins in 2nd Congressional District
- NEW: Riley Releases New Attack Ad on Langevin
- NEW: Langevin Picks Up Endorsement from American Nurses Association
- SUPER POLL: Jim Langevin or Mike Riley
- Voter Guide: James Langevin Profile (2nd District)
- NEW: Langevin Announces Winners of RI Cybersecurity Contest
- NEW: Langevin Appointed To Congressional Gun Violence Prevention Task Force
- Arthur Schaper: Langevin Quotes (Racist, Statist) Woodrow Wilson
- NEW: Langevin Announces Cyber Priorities Bills Pass the House
- Russ Moore: Langevin’s Mature Approach To Domestic Surveillance
- Reed and Langevin Win
- Langevin Opposes Republican Budget Plan
- NEW: Langevin Supports Obama’s Overall Budget Message
- NEW: Langevin Receives International Disabilities Award
- Langevin, Whitehouse Warn Against ‘Dangerous’ Fiscal Cliff ‘Game’
- NEW: Cicilline, Langevin Looking to Send Gun Violence Message at State of the Union Address
- NEW: Langevin Proposes Crackdown On ‘Deadbeat’ Gun Dealers
- NEW: Langevin Trying to Reverse Decision on Exeter Job Corps
- Langevin Unveils Package of Consumer Protection Legislation