Civil Unions Goes to Senate Judiciary Committee
Wednesday, June 01, 2011
The bill, which is sponsored by Rep Peter Petrarca, D-Lincoln, would grant gay couples all of the rights, benefits, protections, and responsibilities that married couples now receive under state law.
Gay marriage advocates say it still denies full civil rights to gay couples because it denies them the use of the word marriage. Opponents, on the other hand, say it is a stepping stone to gay marriage.
The bill was passed by the House earlier in May after House Speaker Gordon Fox said he was throwing his support behind the compromise. Fox said he withdrew support from gay marriage legislation because he believed it could not pass the Senate.
The hearing is in Room 313 at approximately 4:30 p.m.
If you valued this article, please LIKE GoLocalProv.com on Facebook by clicking HERE.
- A LIVELY EXPERIMENT May 19, 2011 Civil Unions
- BREAKING NEWS: Civil Unions Passes House Judiciary
- BREAKING NEWS: Fox Supports Civil Unions
- BREAKING NEWS: House Passes Controversial Civil Unions Bill
- Gay Rights Rally Protests Civil Unions Bill
- NEW: Bishop Tobin Calls for Defeat of Civil Unions
- NEW: Chafee OK with Civil Unions
- NEW: Civil Unions Hearing Today
- NEW: Paiva Weed Backs Civil Unions
- UPDATED: Civil Unions Bill Introduced
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.