Cianci Threatened to Sue Author Ann Hood
Tuesday, December 09, 2014
Hood's husband Lorne Adrain, the failed Democratic-turned-independent Mayoral candidate, helped mastermind the "Anybody But Cianci" effort that saw two-time Mayor Cianci defeated this November by Mayor-elect Jorge Elorza.
"I got a letter from [Hood's] publisher after I lost for Mayor," said Cianci. "I thought it was mercenary, self-serving, and avaricious. Not only did her husband create an organization to stop me from being Mayor, they were trying to use me for promotion after I lost. I sent a cease and desist letter that if my story appeared in that book, I would sue."
Cianci said that Hood approached him to write a piece for "Providence Noir," part of a series of original noir novels for Akashic Books, prior to his announcing his intention to run for office.
"[Hood] had set this up before I even declared for Mayor," said Cianci. "I respected her, so I said yes. They offered me $200. I didn't need the money, I just did it for the kicks. I worked with my secretary Rita Marcott on a piece of "noir fiction" about City Hall. Then I forgot all about it - until they wanted to make money off my name after what they did during the election."
A copy of Akashic promotional materials obtained by GoLocal shows Cianci's name as penning a story for the book; however it is not on the publisher's website. Adrain did respond to request for comment on Monday.
Campaign Controversy Carryover
On September 9 -- Primary Day -- Adrain messaged supporters to explain "why Lorne Adrain [withdrew] from the race."
"Former Providence Mayor and two-time convicted felon “Buddy" Cianci entered the Mayor’s race," wrote Adrain. "This created a four-way contest in which Mr. Cianci could become Mayor again with as little as 25% of the vote. This risk was unacceptable to me. My decision to withdraw dramatically reduced the risk of a Cianci victory, but it did not eliminate it."
In September, a leaked memo from Adrain showed his involvement in orchestrating an "Anybody But Cianci" effort to coordinate a financially backed third party effort for Elorza to prevail.
According to the Adrain memo, the messaging outlined was that the group needed to raise money -- and issues about Cianci, including pointing to claims about Cianci being a rapist, so Elorza could stay positive.
"We've already sued [Mayor-elect Jorge] Elorza, [Myrth] York, [Brett] Smiley for their campaign finance violations," said Cianci. "And they're going to lose that case. The money goes to the state, by the way. Not me."
"Lorne will be subpoenaed and will probably be sued because he sent out of the original email," said Cianci, of Adrain's message sent to supporters about the (c)4 in the "Anyone But Cianci" effort.
"Anyone who has spent time in Providence, Rhode Island, knows that lurking in the shadows are many sinister noir elements and characters. The city is ripe for this volume, and Akashic is proud to have recruited the amazing Ann Hood as editor," writes Akashic in its site about Providence Noir.
Related Slideshow: Buddy Cianci in Pop Culture
Take a tour of Buddy Cianci's career from walk on roles on TV dramas to featured in pop art.
Shepard Fairey exploded on to the global stage when he designed the iconic "Hope" poster of President Obama, but he had rocked Providence when he attended RISD with his installations/graffiti cut- and-past on Buddy Cianci's re-election posters.
Photo by El-Pablo via Flickr
Nothing says Buddy Cianci like Buddy's own tell all autobiography. The post-jail book tried to even some scores and serve as a balance to Pulitzer prize winning investigative reporter Mike Stanton's, "Prince of Providence."
Buddy's book with the short title of "Politics and Pasta," failed to deliver the context and range of Stanton's book.
- Cianci to Appear on Meet the Press
- Corrente, Whitehouse, and Almond Oppose Cianci’s Re-Election
- The Scoop: Magaziner Calls Almonte a Liar, Cianci Blasts Harrop’s Elorza Donation, and More
- Michael Riley: Projo, Elorza and Cianci are all Blind to Reality
- Myrth York Leads New Anti-Cianci Group and Launches TV Ad
- The Scoop: RIC to Host Politics and Social Media Panel, Harrop Questions Cianci’s Health, and More
- Guest MINDSETTER™: Erlin Rogel - Providence Needs More than Just A Buddy
- Perilli: All Buddy’s Money Can’t Buy Him Providence Again
- Questions Buddy Cianci Must Answer to be Providence’s Next Mayor
- Russell Moore: Michael Milken, Buddy Cianci, and Redemption
- Listen: Marketing Providence: The Buddy Brand Factor
- Ron Reacts: The General Assembly and Buddy Cianci
- Marketing Providence: The Buddy Brand Factor
- LISTEN: “Anybody But Cianci” Group Forming to Take on Buddy
- Ric Santurri: Buddy Cianci’s Math Problem
- Can Buddy Beat the Master Lever?
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Jennifer Brien: What if Buddy Loses?
- EXCLUSIVE: Confidential Memo Unveils Secret Fund to Beat Buddy Cianci
- Russell Moore: Buddy Still Favorite in Mayoral Bid
- “Anybody But Cianci” Group Forming to Take on Buddy
- Is WPRO Violating Equal Time with Buddy Cianci Show Title?
- John Perilli: Buddy Cianci’s Long, Sad Comeback Trail
- Ric Santurri: All Buddy, All The Time
- National Media Reacts to Buddy Cianci Running for Mayor
- Russell Moore: The Summer of Buddy
- LISTEN: Is WPRO Violating Equal Time with Buddy Cianci Show Title?
- Buddy Cianci’s History in Pop Culture
- Buddy Cianci: Timeline of His Life
- Sides Split on Buddy Running for Mayor of Providence
- LISTEN: Who is Giving to Cianci - Interesting Donors
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Matt Fecteau: In Cianci We Trust
- Buddy Cianci Returns to Radio - Will Elorza be His First Guest?
- The Scoop: Cianci Endorsed by Impacto Hispano, Duffy and Nee Team Up for Magaziner, and More
- BREAKING: Cianci’s Complaint Against York Delayed Until November 13th
- NEW: Cianci Announces Plan to Reform Providence Schools
- NEW: Cianci Responds to Mail Ballot Tampering Accusations
- Cianci Polling Shows 14+ Point Lead Over Elorza
- The Scoop: Smith Blasts Paiva-Weed on False Allegations, Elorza Questions Cianci’s Apology, and More
- Flip-Flopping Rep Hull Comes Back to Cianci
- Who is Giving to Cianci - Interesting Donors
- NEW: Cianci’s Lawyer Files Elections Complaint Over Elorza, York, and Others
- 10 Factors that Will Decide if Elorza or Cianci is the Next Mayor of Providence
- GoLocal Interviews Vincent “Buddy” Cianci
- NEW: Cianci Campaign Co-Chair Alleges Voter Suppression at MLK
- NEW: Lorne Adrain Files for Providence Mayoral Run
- NEW: Lorne Adrain Announces Candidacy for Mayor of Providence
- NEW: Adrain Kicks Off Campaign for Providence Mayoral Run
- NEW: Adrain Goes from Dem to Independent for Providence Mayoral Run
- Adrain Drops Out of Providence Mayoral Race
- Elorza Beats Cianci in Providence Mayoral Race