Chafee Issues Executive Orders on E-Verify, Ethics
Wednesday, January 05, 2011
This morning, at a ceremony at the International Institute in Providence, Chafee rescinded Gov. Don Carcieri’s executive order requiring the state to participate in the E-Verify immigration enforcement program.
“However well intentioned it may have been, it has caused needless anxiety within our Latino community without demonstrating any progress on illegal immigration….an issue I strongly believe must be solved at the Federal level,” Chafee said yesterday in his inaugural address.
Chafee is also expected to issue an executive order on ethics today. The order will set ethics standards for all levels of the executive branch, according to spokesman Mike Trainor.
- Poll: Do you support Governor-elect Chafee’s plan to expand the sales tax?
- Poll: Do you Support Governor-elect Chafee in Rescinding E-Verify, the Immigration Program
- NEW: Chafee Rehires Carcieri Staffer
- UPDATED: Ethics Commission Clears Costantino for Chafee Post
- UPDATED: Chafee, General Assembly Leaders Weigh in on Central Falls
- UPDATED: Chafee Picks Coit for DEM
- State GOP Chair Praises Chafee Appointment
- Republican Leader Looking Forward to Governor Chafee