NEW: Chafee OK with Civil Unions
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
His statement comes after House Speaker Gordon Fox announced he was dropping his support for gay marriage in this session and moving forward with civil unions—even though he still backs the idea of gay marriage.
“I have long been an advocate for marriage equality and, while I had hoped that legislation enacting it would have reached my desk this year, I respect Speaker Fox’s assessment as announced today. I do believe passage of civil union legislation would be a step forward for our state and I would sign such a bill if and when it reaches my desk,” Chafee said.
If you valued this article, please LIKE GoLocalProv.com on Facebook by clicking HERE.
- 11 to Watch in 2011: Gordon Fox
- BREAKING NEWS: Fox Supports Civil Unions
- NEW: Gay Marriage Group ‘Extremely Disappointed’ in Fox
- 11 to Watch in 2011: Lincoln Chafee
- Advocates: Gay Marriage Will Benefit RI’s Economy
- Democratic Chairman Backs Gay Marriage
- EXCLUSIVE: A Big Compromise on Gay Marriage?
- Gay Marriage Debate at the Statehouse: A Preview
- Gay Marriage Debate: Roach Responds
- Gay Marriage Intrigue at Statehouse
- Gay Marriage Opponents, Supporters Face Off
- Gay Marriage PR War Heats Up
- Gay Marriage: The Time Is Now
- Gay Marriage: What’s Wrong with a Referendum?
- General Assembly Horse Trading: ‘Woodmansee’ Bill for Gay Marriage
- Group Proposes Referendum on Gay Marriage
- Hundreds Flock to Statehouse for Gay Marriage Showdown
- LIVE ELECTION UPDATE Gay marriage group working the polls 1:20 PM
- NEW Gay Marriage Bill to Be Introduced Tomorrow
- NEW: Head of Gay Marriage Group Resigns
- NEW: Providence College Students to Hold Gay Marriage Rally
- NEW: Senate Committee Holds Hearing on Gay Marriage Bills
- Poll: Most Rhode Islanders Support Gay Marriage
- Sources: Gay Marriage Can’t Pass RI House