Central Falls Elementary School Slated for Closure
Thursday, June 09, 2011
“Robertson school is being considered for closing due to a decline in enrollment,” said Yaviri Grosso, a spokeswoman for the district. “Discussions are still being held at this time so this decision has not been finalized. These discussions will include teachers and parents.”
Grosso said Robertson, which currently houses fifth graders, has an enrollment of 189 students. Next year, the fifth grade enrollment is expected to drop nearly in half—to just one hundred students, according to Grosso.
Sources in the school district tell GoLocalProv that the plan is to move the students at the elementary school to the Calcutt Middle School, which has sixth through eighth graders. “I don’t see how they’re going to fit all of us,” one Robertson Elementary teacher told GoLocalProv. “To my knowledge right now the middle school is pretty full. We don’t know where we’re fitting in this puzzle.”
Sources: Charter school moving in
The teacher expressed concern that fifth graders would be attending school with older students.
“I think it’s … drastic,” the teacher said. “As a parent I would not want my child to be in a middle school as a fifth grader with eighth graders.”
Currently the district is considering renting the Robertson building to the Democracy Prep charter school, sources say. Grosso said she could not confirm that. “At this point, I don’t know what’s going in its place,” she said.
The possible closure is expected to be discussed at Central Falls Board of Trustees meeting on June 14.
If you valued this article, please LIKE GoLocalProv.com on Facebook by clicking HERE.
- BREAKING NEWS: Central Falls Teachers Say It’s a Deal
- BREAKING NEWS: Central Falls Union Votes No Confidence in Gallo
- BREAKING NEWS: Gist - Central Falls Teachers, Administration Reach a Deal
- BREAKING NEWS: Gist Speaks Out on Central Falls School District
- BREAKING NEWS: State Senator Calls for Central Falls Superintendent to Resign
- Central Falls Blocks School Principal from Working
- Central Falls Coverup - Students Not Properly Immunized
- Central Falls Parents Plan Rally for Schools
- Central Falls Principal Takes School District to Court
- Central Falls School District Get $1.3 Million Grant
- Central Falls Teacher: Why I Resigned
- Central Falls Teachers Vote No Confidence in Gallo
- Central Falls Teachers: Don’t Blame Us
- EXCLUSIVE: Central Falls School ‘Whistleblower’ Punished
- EXCLUSIVE: Felon Serving on Central Falls School Board
- EXCLUSIVE: Fired Providence Teacher Hired in Central Falls
- Gallo—Teachers Blocking Transformation of Central Falls High
- Gist: Reform at Central Falls Now Can Move at ‘Light Speed’
- Gist—State Will Review Criminal Record of Central Falls Trustee
- NEW: Central Falls School Board Chair Defends Superintendent
- NEW: Central Falls Superintendent Speaks Out on Teacher Assault
- NEW: Central Falls – No Explanation for MIA Administrators
- NEW: Community Groups Support Central Falls Superintendent
- NEW: Gist to Hold Community Forum in Central Falls This Week
- Over 100 Central Falls Teachers Face Layoffs
- Senator Calls for Forensic Audit of Central Falls Schools
- Three Central Falls School Administrators Missing in Action
- Violence on the Rise at Central Falls Schools
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.