Welcome! Login | Register

Subscribe Now: Free Daily EBlast

 
 

NEW: Central Coventry Fire District Receives “Poorest” Rating from Insurer

Monday, July 06, 2015

 

The Central Coventry Fire District (CCFD) has received the Insurance Service Organization's (ISO) poorest rating, a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. ISO rates fire departments around the country.

Fred Gralinski, chairman of the board of the Central Coventry Fire District, shared the board of directors' reaction, explanation for ISO's rating and how they hope to remedy the situation.

Statement From Central Coventry Fire District

"On June 10, 2015, the Insurance Service Organization (ISO), which rates fire departments around the country, notified the Central Coventry Fire District that the district had received ISO’s poorest rating – a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10.

This rating was a surprise and shock to myself and the other members of the CCFD Board of Directors. We immediately contacted ISO for an explanation of the poor rating.

ISO’s response was very simple and very much at odds with statements made by the Central Coventry Fire District union president David Gorman, who ascribed the low rating to pumper trucks and ladder trucks being removed from service. 

In ISO’s email response to our query, they indicated that Central Coventry’s lowest possible rating was solely due to the fact that the district did not meet ISO’s minimum training requirements, based on a survey conducted on 1/28/2014. 

In response, the Central Coventry Fire District has proposed a plan to remediate the training issues that ISO has identified. ISO has indicated to us that those changes should improve the district’s rating. 

These remedial activities must be in place prior to June 23, 2016, a deadline that the district will meet. Residents should be assured that no changes to the district’s ISO ratings  and no insurance premium penalties for Coventry taxpayers and businesses due to low ISO ratings will occur prior to June 23, 2016.

The District continues to employ a union Battalion Chief for Training and adequate training funds are included in the budget. Our board will work with the Receiver and encourage and help him to do everything possible to ensure that Central Coventry Fire District’s operations meet best practice expectations for fire departments and the ISO rating is returned to the previous level.

This is very much a work in progress, and we appreciate the patience and support of our tax payers while we clean things up."

 

Related Slideshow: Butane Hash Fires in the U.S.

Here is a look at the butane hash fires that have occured throughout the United States. 

Prev Next

November 2011

Medford, Oregon 

The heater in the house turned on causing the butane to explode. Seven people, including two kids, escaped from the explosion. 

Read more 

Prev Next

November 2013

Bellevue, Washington

The fire was started by three men who were using butane to extract hash oil from marijuana. The fire cost $1,500,000 in damages and former Mayor Nan Campbell died in the fire. 

The three men were charged in July of 2014

Read more 

 

Photo courtesy of ssalomans/ flickr

Prev Next

May 2014

Manitou Springs, Colorado

Hash oil was linked to dozens of explosions but no one was hurt. A couple was taken into custody on suspicion of first degree arson but were later released on bond. 

Read more

Prev Next

May 2014

Puyallup, Washington

An illegal hash oil operation went up in flames featuring more than 300 cans of butane. Nobody was injured in the explosion but two people were detained. 

Read more 

Prev Next

October 2014

Missoula, Montana

An explosion took place at a University of Montana apartment due to a man attempting to extract hash oil from marijuana. The man, Patrick Wayne Austin, was held on $50,000 bail. 

Read more

Photo courtesy of brandonwu/flickr

Prev Next

October 2014

Walnut Creek, California 

The top floor of a four unit apartment building was completely blown off and two people were critically injured and another was unaccounted for. The fire consisted of one large explosion and then dozens of other smaller explosions following it. 

Read more

Prev Next

October 2014

Jackson, Michigan

A 20 year old boy attempted to extract hash oil from marijuana by "open blasting" in his upstairs bedroom in his parents house when it caught fire. The 20 year old had a medical marijuana card.

Read More

Prev Next

October 2014

Visalia, California

After extinguishing the fire, the firefighters determined the residents had been cooking hash oil from marijuana when vapors ignited and caused an explosion. 

The home had $80,000 in damages and another $20,000 damages to the contents of the home. 

Read more

Prev Next

November 2014

San Bernardino County, California

A man was killed and two others were injured after a home exploded and significant amounts of marijuana and butane were found in the debris. 

Read more

 

Photo courtesy of paulbanday/ flickr

 
 

Related Articles

 

Enjoy this post? Share it with others.

 

X

Stay Connected — Free
Daily Email
 
:!