Candlelight Vigil for West Warwick Man Who Died Homeless to be Held on Thurs.
Wednesday, July 29, 2015
Scheduled speakers include Barbara Smith of Help the Homeless of Kent County, Jim Ryczek the executive director of the RI Coalition of the Homeless as well as friends and family of Michael Lewis.
Michael Lewis died on the streets of West Warwick on July 2nd at the age of 51.
RI Homeless Rates are Down
The last report released by the Rhode Island Coalition for the Homeless showed that the state's homeless population decreased for a second year.
The overall number of homeless decreased 8.5% from 4,447 in 2013 to 4,067 in 2014. The number of homeless families decreased 15.2% from 631 in 2013 to 535 in 2014.
Lastly, the number of homeless children decreased from 11.7% from 1,117 in 2013 to 986 in 2014.
“The numbers are down but we are far from done,” said Jim Ryczek, the Executive Director of RICH to GoLocalProv in February.
- Dan Lawlor: Rhode Island Should Look to Massachuesetts to Address Homelessness
- Don’t Miss: ShelterWalk 2012 For Homeless Families
- NEW: Homelessness on the Rise in RI
- Homeless Advocate Jim Ryczek: 12 Who Made a Difference in RI in 2012
- Advocates Say Chafee ‘turned a blind eye’ to homeless crisis
- Dan Lawlor: Still Too Many Homeless People in RI
- NEW: RI Receives Grants to Combat Veteran Homelessness
- RI Becomes First in Nation to Establish ‘Homeless Bill of Rights’
- State House Report: Decriminalizing Pot, Homeless Bill of Rights & Underage Tanning
- NEW: Chafee Signs ‘Homeless Bill of Rights’ into Law
- State Report: Homeless People, Regionalization & Obamacare
- Daniel Lawlor: Chilly in March: Remembering Homelessness Advocates
- RI Coalition for the Homeless Celebrates Community Heroes
- RI Coalition for the Homeless To Hold Candlelight Vigil
- Former Friar, Celtic Eric Williams is Homeless
- Group Seeks Support for New Facility to Care for RI’s Homeless
- RI Homeless Rate Declines, Earns “B” Grade in Prevention
- RI Homeless Shelter Director Recognized With 2015 Harlequin Award
- RI Coalition for the Homeless Praises Affordable Housing Funding in Budget
- NEW: RI’s Homeless Population Shrinks for First Time Since 2007
- RI’s Homeless Numbers Climb by More Than Ten Percent
- ShelterWalk’s 25th Walk for RI’s Homeless Families
- Rhode Island Coalition for the Homeless Gives State C+ for Efforts
- NEW: RI Council 94 Clothes the Homeless this Holiday Season
- GoLocalTV: Miss RI USA Anea Garcia Hosting Fundraiser to Combat Homelessness