Brown Rape Case: Top Stories in RI in 2012
Monday, December 31, 2012
GoLocalProv kicked off 2012 with a bang after obtaining a secretly recorded conversation between a former Brown University assistant wrestling coach and the lawyer who represented the former Brown student was falsely accused of rape in 2006
The rape revealed never before released details about settlement discussions that took place a month before an agreement was quietly reached.
On the tape, Kilpatrick says Rhode Island mediator William Poore recommended $850,000 be paid to McCormick by the accuser’s father, an amount McCormick’s family believed to be too low and the accuser’s family said was too high. Poore later came back to Kilpatrick and raised the recommendation to $1,050,000, but also inquired about getting Burch to sign a release that would stop him from discussing the case any further.
Brown University has repeatedly denied having any connection to the settlement.
“I can tell you that the University is not a party to the settlement reached in the McCormick case,” a spokeswoman said at the time. “It has made no contribution to the settlement, nor has it made any accommodation to either party in an effort to reach an agreement. Any statement to the contrary is false. The University acted appropriately and stood ready at all times during the litigation to prove in court that it had acted appropriately and in accordance with applicable laws, policies and procedures.”
- Best Cities in New England: Top Stories in RI in 2012
- Providence Loan Investigation: Top Stories in RI in 2012
- Best Communities: Top Stories in RI in 2012
- Rhode Island’s Struggling Economy: Top Stories in RI in 2012
- Brown Rape Case: Top Stories in RI in 2012
- Top High Schools: Top Stories in RI in 2012
- Chronic Absenteeism in Schools: Top Stories in RI in 2012
- Cicilline’s Comeback: Top Stories in RI in 2012
- Crime in Providence: Top Stories in RI in 2012
- Olivia Culpo: Top Stories in RI in 2012
- 38 Studios Debacle: Top Stories in RI in 2012
- Providence Housing Scandal: Top Stories in RI in 2012
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.