UPDATED: U.S. Attorney General Sessions Out, What Will Trump Do About Mueller
Thursday, November 08, 2018
This sets of a series of questions about the implications of the change on Special Investigator Robert Mueller. White House Chief of Staff John Kelly asked Sessions for his resignation.
Trump has named Sessions' Chief of staff Matthew Whitaker acting Attorney General.
We are pleased to announce that Matthew G. Whitaker, Chief of Staff to Attorney General Jeff Sessions at the Department of Justice, will become our new Acting Attorney General of the United States. He will serve our Country well........We thank Attorney General Jeff Sessions for his service, and wish him well! A permanent replacement will be nominated at a later date.
U.S. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) has Tweeted: Given his previous comments advocating defunding and imposing limitations on the Mueller investigation, Mr. Whitaker should recuse himself from its oversight for the duration of his time as acting attorney general.
A top Republican Senator, Lindsey Graham (R_SC) has Tweeted:
Jeff Sessions served our nation well and honorably as Attorney General.— Lindsey Graham (@LindseyGrahamSC) November 7, 2018
He has dedicated his whole life to conservatism and upholding the Rule of Law. (1/3)
In August of 2017, Whitaker wrote an opinion piece for CNN that was critical of the Mueller investigation.
Matthew Whitaker is a CNN legal commentator and former US attorney who directs the Foundation for Accountability and Civic Trust (FACT), a conservative ethics watchdog group. He ran in the Republican primary for Iowa Senate in 2014. The views expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author.
(CNN) This article was originally published on August 6, 2017.
Last month, when President Donald Trump was asked by The New York Times if special counsel Robert Mueller would be crossing a line if he started investigating the finances of Trump and his family, the President said, "I think that's a violation. Look, this is about Russia."
The President is absolutely correct. Mueller has come up to a red line in the Russia 2016 election-meddling investigation that he is dangerously close to crossing. According to a CNN article, Mueller's investigators could be looking into financial records relating to the Trump Organization that are unrelated to the 2016 election. According to these reports, "sources described an investigation that has widened to focus on possible financial crimes, some unconnected to the 2016 election." The piece goes on to cite law enforcement sources who say non-Russia-related leads that "involve Trump associates" are being referred to the special counsel "to encourage subjects of the investigation to cooperate."
This story is developing...
Related Slideshow: Election Night 2018: Photos of Democratic Heaven and GOP Hell in RI
- Trump Names Sessions & Pompeo to Key Positions
- UPDATED: U.S. Attorney General Sessions Out, What Will Trump Do About Mueller
- Cicilline Called for Sessions’ Resignation in 2017 - Now Criticizes Trump For AG’s Departure
- VIDEO: 1-on-1 with Trump Economic Adviser & Author of “Trumponomics,” Steve Moore
- Timing of Trump’s Birthright Comments “Very Deliberate,” Says UVA’s Lawless on LIVE
- Rickman’s Big View - Trump & Election Day
- RI Latino PAC President Molina-Flynn on Record Fundraising Year, Trump’s Caravan Response, & 2020
- Will Trump Shut Down Border to Migrant Caravan - UVA’s Lawless on LIVE
- HuffPost’s Bendery on LIVE on “Covering Washington in the Age of Trump”
- Horowitz: Trump Tanks US Image Abroad
- Fung’s Trillo Problem — and Trump’s Saudi Problem: Lawless on LIVE
- Horowitz: Trump Rallies are Political Double-Edged Sword
- Trump Sunk to New Lows With Ford Comments: Guest MINDSETTER™ Schoos
- Rickman’s Big View - Trump and South Africa
- NEW: Former Trump Campaign Manager Manafort Found Guilty on 8 Counts
- Finneran: Now Pitching - Donald Trump
- Horowitz: Trump Commits Policy Malpractice on Fuel Efficiency Standards
- Lawless on “Scary Development” in Trump’s War on Media on LIVE
- NEW: Former Trump Attorney Cohen Pleads Guilty to Criminal Charges
- “Is the Trump Political Bubble About to Burst?”—Sunday Political Brunch—October 7, 2018
- Rickman’s Big View - Kanye West & Donald Trump
- Cicilline Calls Trump Administration’s Cutting of Refugee Admissions “Shameful”
- Horowitz: Woodward Sounds Alarm on Trump’s Fitness to Serve
- Brown’s Brettschneider on Trump, Future Presidents, and “The Oath and the Constitution”
- VIDEO: Woodward on Trump, Kavanaugh, and The White House “Zoo Without Walls”
- Horowitz: Trump Blames America First
- Trump Ignores Oath to Preserve, Protect & Defend Constitution: Guest MINDSETTER™ Schoos
- Rickman’s Big View - Trump & the Environment
- Whitcomb: Car Dependency and Poverty; Trump Treason Triumph; ‘Unique’ Truck Tolls; Newport Art Fair?
- Flanders Criticizes Trump for Results of NATO Summit
- Trump Names Kavanaugh To United States Supreme Court UPDATED
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Broadmeadow: Trump Needs to Halt Policy of Kids Being Separated From Families
- Horowitz: Trump Alone Can Fix His Inhumane Border Policy
- Fung Refuses Comment on Trump Administration’s Family Separation Policy
- NEW: President Trump Signs Executive Order Ending Family Separation