BREAKING: Hurricane Sandy Heading For New England
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Hurricane Sandy: Another "Perfect Storm"?
Now, because of the projections of a few of the many weather prediction mathematical models, there is rampant speculation that New England is about to be hit by a major storm perhaps of the “Perfect Storm” ilk that struck around Halloween in 1991. Right now Hurricane Sandy, a Category 1 hurricane, is a long way away, located south of Jamaica in the Caribbean about 1700 miles to our south. During the next couple of days, it will move over Cuba and into the Bahamas, threatening parts of southern and eastern Florida with hurricane force winds. After that, it is expected to continue to move northward … and this is where it gets sticky. Some data indicates it will move more eastward, away from the U.S. mainland but other just as reliable data is forecasting the storm to gradually lose its tropical characteristics and morph into a massive storm that will turn up the east coast, the center of which could move directly over Southern New England. If that happens, and it is a BIG IF, it would be here early next week. Since the storm would be so large it could well extend over several days, say from Monday through Wednesday. With so much uncertainty in the future track of the storm, it is impossible at this time to fill in any of the details such as how much wind, how much rain, how much, if any, flooding, etc.
The bottom line is that we still have plenty of time to watch, prepare and calculate but, at least, the potential is there. I will have more on this over the next few days, keeping you up to date on the latest developments and forecasts.
- FM Global: Hurricane Irene Could Cause More Damage Than Katrina
- Here We Go Again …The Hurricane Season Is Underway
- How to Throw a Hurricane Party
- Hurricane Irene - Electricity Outage and Impact - 5:30 am Update
- Hurricane Irene ... Saturday Evening Update
- Hurricane Irene ... Sunday Morning Update
- Hurricane Irene ... Thursday Evening Update
- Hurricane Irene ... Thursday Morning Update
- Hurricane Irene ... Wednesday Afternoon Update
- Hurricane Irene Update ... Saturday Morning
- Hurricane Irene … Friday Morning Update
- Hurricane Irene… Important Friday Update
- Hurricane Irene: Serve Rhode Island Calls for Volunteers
- NEW: Hurricane Health Advisory… Risks of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- NEW: Hurricane Irene Is Coming… How To Protect Your Technology
- NEW: RI Issues Hurricane Preparedness Guidelines
- NEW: Send GoLocal Your Hurricane Irene Pictures
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.