Best Community #2: Foster
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Its sprawling woodlands and winding streams draw outdoor enthusiasts while colonial-era architecture will put it on the map for history buffs. Foster is home to one of the oldest government meeting houses in the United States and has the only two covered bridges in Rhode Island.
Because of the small size of the community - it has just 5,000 residents - everyone knows virtually everyone else, according to Colette Matarese, president of the town council. “It’s a rural community and it’s a small community where you get to know everybody by face, if not by name,” Matarese said.
HOUSING AFFORDABILITY: 156.73%
MEDIAN FAMILY INCOME: $59,673.00
EFFECTIVE PROPERTY TAX RATE: $11.89
NECAP SCORES 4th Grade
NECAP SCORES 8th Grade
NECAP SCORES 11th GRADE
Violent and property crime total over population: 1.09%
ARTS & CULTURE
Total number of theaters, museums/galleries, libraries, golf courses, and restaurants & bars: 6
- Best Community #1: Cranston
- The Best Communities in Rhode Island
- Behind the Numbers: How We Determined the Best Communities
- Best Communities: Rhode Island Reacts
- Best Community #3: South Kingstown
- Best Community #4: Glocester
- Best Community #5: Barrington
- The Best Communities: The Big Chart
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.