NEW: Cianci Checks Out of Hospital After Collapse, Attends Celebratory Dinner
Friday, November 20, 2015
It is never dull in the life Cianci. The portrait ceremony was attended by more than 100, with hosts including former Providence Mayor Joseph Paolino, Cranston Mayor Allen Fung, State Representative John Lombardi, Providence Council President Luis Aponte, Majority Leader Kevin Jackson and Union leader Paul MacDonald. The who's who had one glaring miss - sitting Mayor Jorge Elorza did not attend.
During the ceremony, Cianci delivered the line of the year, when describing the painting Cianci said, "It's not the first time I've been framed," to a roar of laughter in the crowd.
After the Hospital
After the visit to the hospital, Cianci said in an interview with GoLocal that he appreciated the response and help from the Providence Fire Department. The Fire Department is in a major labor dispute with sitting Mayor Elorza.
Cianci, speaking from his post-portrait event at Roma on the Hill, told GoLocal the scare was chalked up as dehydration and low blood sugar.
"After my speech, I felt a little weak, it was hot in there," said Cianci. "Thank goodness for the firefighters, they got there quick and they did a great job."
Cianci spent 21 years as Mayor and oversaw the redevelopment and historic preservation of the City. He twice left office with felonies and served five years in federal prison. The Mayor is one the best known Mayors in America and has a national reputation for his overseeing the Renaissance era of Providence. In 2014, he ran again, but was beat by Elorza in the general election. Today, he hosts a radio show in the afternoons on WPRO-AM.
This article was originally published at 8:10 pm on November 19, 2015 and was updated.
Related Slideshow: Buddy Cianci in Pop Culture
Take a tour of Buddy Cianci's career from walk on roles on TV dramas to featured in pop art.
Shepard Fairey exploded on to the global stage when he designed the iconic "Hope" poster of President Obama, but he had rocked Providence when he attended RISD with his installations/graffiti cut- and-past on Buddy Cianci's re-election posters.
Photo by El-Pablo via Flickr
Mike Stanton, the author of "Prince of Providence," wrote the ultimate biography of Buddy Cianci - it was optioned for a movie with stars rumored for the role of Cianci ranging from Oliver Platt to Russell Crowe.
The movie has yet to be produced.
RISD grad Seth MacFarlane created the ultimate Rhode Island joke with his TV series, "Family Guy."
One of the show's backdrops is "Buddy Cianci Jr. High School."
Narrated by Rhode Island's own James Wood and directed by Sherry Wood, the documentary, "BUDDY, The Rise and Fall of America's Most Notorious Mayor," proved to be a snap shot of Cianci's life.
Nothing says Buddy Cianci like Buddy's own tell all autobiography. The post-jail book tried to even some scores and serve as a balance to Pulitzer prize winning investigative reporter Mike Stanton's, "Prince of Providence."
Buddy's book with the short title of "Politics and Pasta," failed to deliver the context and range of Stanton's book.
The infamous Buddy Cianci sauce was a favorite for the Mayor to hand out to VIPS.
The profits from the sale of the sauce are intended to support scholarship for students.
One of the most expressive pieces of Buddy Cianci art was an early campaign poster from the 1970's.
The poster is now a collector's item.
After his conviction but before he reported for Federal prison, Cianci appeared on CBS News' 60 Minutes news magazine.
Cianci was resolute in his appearance.
Buddy Cianci had his appearances on the 1999 NBC prime time drama, "Providence."
The show was shot in part in the Rhode Island capitol city. Cianci seemed to be everywhere during the production of the show.
- NEW: Cianci’s Lawyer Files Elections Complaint Over Elorza, York, and Others
- Myrth York Leads New Anti-Cianci Group and Launches TV Ad
- 10 Factors that Will Decide if Elorza or Cianci is the Next Mayor of Providence
- NEW: Cianci Announces Plan to Reform Providence Schools
- NEW: Cianci Responds to Mail Ballot Tampering Accusations
- Michael Riley: Projo, Elorza and Cianci are all Blind to Reality
- The Scoop: Magaziner Calls Almonte a Liar, Cianci Blasts Harrop’s Elorza Donation, and More
- Russell Moore: Michael Milken, Buddy Cianci, and Redemption
- The Scoop: RIC to Host Politics and Social Media Panel, Harrop Questions Cianci’s Health, and More
- Corrente, Whitehouse, and Almond Oppose Cianci’s Re-Election
- Cianci to Appear on Meet the Press
- Cianci Polling Shows 14+ Point Lead Over Elorza
- The Scoop: Smith Blasts Paiva-Weed on False Allegations, Elorza Questions Cianci’s Apology, and More
- PODCAST: Cianci Threatened to Sue Author Ann Hood
- Buddy Cianci Returns to Radio - Will Elorza be His First Guest?
- Cianci Threatened to Sue Author Ann Hood
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Christi Reiss: Beyond the East Side: Different Post-Mortem of Cianci’s Defeat
- Breaking: Buddy Cianci Collapses After Portrait Ceremony
- Elorza Beats Cianci in Providence Mayoral Race
- NEW: Cianci Campaign Co-Chair Alleges Voter Suppression at MLK
- BREAKING: Cianci’s Complaint Against York Delayed Until November 13th
- The Scoop: Cianci Endorsed by Impacto Hispano, Duffy and Nee Team Up for Magaziner, and More
- GoLocal Interviews Vincent “Buddy” Cianci
- NEW: Cianci Checks Out of Hospital After Collapse, Attends Celebratory Dinner