79 People Arrested, 344 Citations Issued by RI State Police Over Holiday Weekend
Thursday, July 06, 2017
Troopers also investigated 73 crashes, including a fatal hit and run involving a person in Exeter, during the same time period, according to Colonel Ann Assumpico, Superintendent of State Police and Director of the Department of Public Safety.
Sarah Balmforth, 27, of Exeter, died after being struck by a car on South Road between 9 p.m. Monday and 6 a.m. Tuesday.
Anyone who may have witnessed and/or has information about the crash is asked to call Lt. Robert Creamer in the Major Crimes Unit at 444-1046.
No major injuries were reported as a result of the other crashes.
The arrests included nine people charged with driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol:
- John Lopes, 41, of 48 Prospect St., Cranston, was arrested about 12:50 a.m. Saturday while driving on Interstate 95 in providence. He was charged with driving under the influence and refusal to submit to a chemical test.
- Samuel Stanford, 27, of 90 Landis Drive, Warwick, was arrested about 1 a.m. Saturday, while driving on Interstate 95 in Warwick. He was charged with driving under the influence and refusal to submit to a chemical test.
- Walter Tol, 36, of 1304 Charles Ave., Charlestown, was arrested about 1:45 a.m. Saturday after his car struck a guardrail then hit another car on Interstate 95 near Exit 10 (Route 117) in Warwick. He was charged with driving under the influence, second offense, and refusal to submit to a chemical test, second offense. No injuries were reported as a result of the crash.
- Michael Terra, 25, of 12 Garfield Drive, Coventry, was arrested about 2:50 a.m. Saturday on Nooseneck Hill Road, West Greenwich. He was charged with driving under the influence and refusal to submit to a chemical test.
- Jason Phelps, 47, of 17 Longfellow Drive, Coventry, was arrested about 11:45 p.m. Saturday on Interstate 95 in Warwick. He was charged with driving under the influence with a blood-alcohol count between .10 and .15 (Phase I, .134; Phase II, .129).
- Bunreth Chhum, 22, of 125 Wesleyan Ave., Providence, was arrested about 1:30 a.m. Sunday after his car struck a guardrail on the off-ram from Route 6 onto Hartford Avenue in Providence. He was charged with driving under the influence with a blood-alcohol count between .10 and .15 (Phase I, .110; Phase II, .112).
- Melissa Spinney, 26, of 26 Earl St., West Warwick, was arrested about 4:20 p.m. Sunday on Route 4, near Exit 8, in East Greenwich. She was charged with driving under the influence and refusal to submit to a chemical test.
- Evan Kopin, 23, of Madison, CT, was arrested about 10:50 p.m. Monday on Interstate 95 in Exeter. He was charged with driving under the influence and refusal to submit to a chemical test.
- Andrew Rocchio, 19, of 236 Castle Rocks Road, Warwick, was arrested about 1:10 a.m. Wednesday on Route 102 in Exeter. He was charged with driving under the influence and refusal to submit to a chemical test.
In addition, 11 people were charged with operating with a suspended/revoked license and 1 person was charged with reckless driving.
The other arrests were for numerous charges, including 33 people wanted on outstanding warrants.
The citations included 159 speeding violations; 77 seatbelt and 3 child restraint violations; 8 texting while driving violations.
Related Slideshow: Providence Crime By the Numbers - 2016
- READ Curt Schilling’s RI State Police Interview
- DEVELOPING: 38 Studios State Police Documents Released, Questions Remain
- Investigation Launched by EP Police Into Protester’s Breast-Grabbing Claim
- CCRI Considers Arming Campus Police, Concerns About “White Supremacy Arising”
- Unions Donated Over $25K to State Rep Who Introduced “Protectionist” Fire and Police Bill
- UPDATED: Providence Police Arrest 30 in “Operation Stop the Flow” Heroin Sting
- Providence’s Secret Police
- Providence City Council Approves Final Passage of Providence Community-Police Relations Act
- Lincoln Police Officers Honored for Saving Elderly Couple From Fire
- UPDATED: State Police Find “Missing” 38 Studios Documents, But Kilmartin’s Interview Withheld
- RI Ranks Among Best States in U.S. to be a Police Officer
- Boy Scout Master and Son Arrested By State Police for Child Porn
- Prospect of Arming Campus Police at CCRI Draws Opposition
- MA State Police and DA for Worcester County Investigating Death of Aaron Hernandez
- Providence City Council Passes Ordinance to End Racial Profiling Despite Police Union Opposition
- Details of Aaron Hernandez’s Death Revealed in State Police Report
- Robert Whitcomb: GOP’s Healthcare Hell & State Police’s laughable 38 Studios ‘Investigation’
- RI State Police’s Assumpico Criticizes 38 Studios Investigation
- NEW: Raimondo’s Ties to No-Bid RI State Police Contract
- Former State Police Col. O’Donnell Ran a FBI/Bulger Like Deal with Informant, Says “The Ghost”
- Former Newport Police Sergeant Pleads Not Guilty to Wire Fraud Charges