11 to Watch in 2011: Keith Stokes
Thursday, December 30, 2010
Of course, his first challenge of 2011 will be to maintain his post amid the changing of the executive seat in the state. Will Linc Chafee keep him on?
Stokes put in a big 2010, no doubt. Despite spectacular challenges that one of the highest unemployment rates in the country and a lame duck governor, Stokes, a Newport native, helped pass legislation just months
Also, Stokes worked with the General Assembly to pass the Job Creation Guaranty Program which authorizes RIEDC "to guarantee up $125 million in private loans to innovative, technology-based companies with primarily intellectual-property assets to help them create permanent, high-paying, full-time jobs." The program most notably allowed RIEDC to guarantee former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling's, 38 Studios, an entertainment and IP creation company, $75 million (out of the $125 million that is available in government-backed loans).
More recently, Stokes has been lobbying for Rhode Island to host to 2013 America's Cup, a coup that would potentially generate $1.4 billion in economic activity and create 8,000 jobs.
Both 38 Studios and the yachting play will or won't bear real fruit in the coming year... making Stokes one of the state's major players to watch.
- RI Economic Development Corporation: $75 million for Schilling
- EDC Director: $75M Schilling Deal Was ‘Misunderstood’
- Bonds Sold for 38 Studios Deal
- Breaking News: Block Opposes Schilling Deal
- Candidates Balk at $75 Million for Curt Schilling
- Candidates Shocked Schilling Could Get Tax Credit Too
- Caprio Changes Position, Supports Schilling Deal
- Caprio Throws Curveball at Schilling Deal
- Carcieri Accuses Caprio of Meddling in Curt Schilling Deal
- Chafee Renews Push for Redoing Schilling Deal
- Chafee Urges End to Deal with Curt Schilling’s Company
- Gemma Criticizes Schilling Deal
- Mayoral Candidates Debate Curt Schilling Deal
- New Schilling Game: Massive Boondoggle Attack
- Former State Senator Moura Says Schilling Deal Should Be Delayed
- Schilling Signs Lease for Office in Downtown Providence
- Schilling Deal Could Threaten RI Film and TV Industry
- Playing Hardball: Mass. Tries to Keep Schilling Company
- Chafee blasts Schilling Deal on DePetro show
- Rhode Island set to sign Schilling to a deal?
- State Leaders and Citizen Rally to Support America’s Cup Bid
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.