12 to Watch in 2012: John Taylor
Friday, December 30, 2011
What Taylor is faced with is the real possibility that Massachusetts will grab up to 35 percent of the Lincoln-based casino’s annual revenues when three resort-style casinos and a slot parlor open in the Bay State.
The key battle in 2012 will be to make sure Rhode Island voters support a referendum that will allow table games like blackjack, craps and poker at Twin River, a move that could generate about $100 million in additional revenue for the casino.
But if voters oppose table games, more than a few Rhode Islanders are predicting Twin River could fold, which could decimate the state’s budget, forcing tax hikes and major cuts to entitlement programs. The doom and gloom scenario is not one Taylor likes to acknowledge, but it is something state officials--including Governor Chafee--are aware of.
Taylor is unsure of the ultimate endgame when more competition eventually does come to the region, but he maintains that Twin River has increased its profits virtually every single month over the past two years, a sign people still enjoy a night in Lincoln.
The key now is getting out ahead of the competition by approving table games and offering top notch customer service that leaves customers feeling good about their experience. Taylor’s thinking is that if Twin River continues to treat people well, they might try the competition, but they’ll eventually come back to Rhode Island.
But it is essential that the state pass table games in 2012, he says.
“We’ve got a property that is outperforming its competitors,” Taylor said. “We just need extra tools in our tool box.”
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Ed Cooley
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Matt Jennings
- 12 to Watch in 2012: George Zainyeh
- 12 to Watch in 2012: The Race in Congressional District 1
- 12 to Watch in 2012: J. Patrick O’Neill
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Jim Bennett
- 12 to Watch in 2012: John Taylor
- 12 to Watch in 2012
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Julie Sygiel
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Achievement First
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Libby Kimzey
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Andrea Valentini
- 12 to Watch in 2012: Libby Slader