Rickman’s Big View - State of RI Schools
Monday, December 10, 2018
Rickman has been one of Rhode Island's leaders in government, human rights, and issues of equality for more than 30 years.
This week, Rickman raises the red flag on Rhode Island's failed education system and the need to reform the school systems across the state.
Each week, Rickman offers his insights and opinion on the issues that matter most to Rhode Island, the country, and the world.
He is the co-founder of the non-profit Stages of Freedom and heads the public affairs firm — The Rickman Group. He is a former State Representative and Deputy Secretary of State for Rhode Island.
Related Slideshow: 2017-2018 RICAS Math Rankings for “Meeting or Exceeding Expectations”
The Rhode Island Department of Education (RIDE) released performance results on November 29, 2018 for students in grades 3 through 8 on the Rhode Island Comprehensive Assessment System, or RICAS. The 2017-2018 school year was the first year of implementation for the RICAS, which is the Rhode Island administration of the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS), the assessment tool of the nation’s highest-performing state for public education.
Data was suppressed to "ensure confidentiality" for Urban Collaborative, the RI School for the Deaf, and Trinity Academy for Performing Arts because greater than 95% of students did not meet expectations; data was suppressed to "ensure confidentiality" for DCYF because the minimum reporting size of ten was not met.
Below are the rankings of school districts -- and charter schools -- with the data provided by RIDE.
Blackstone Valley Prep Mayoral Academy
Students Meeting or Exceeding Expectations:
- Rickman’s Big View - Trump & the Environment
- Rickman’s Big View - Standing on the Shoulders of Others
- Rickman’s Big View
- Rickman’s Big View - Remembering Aretha Franklin
- Rickman’s Big View - Trump and South Africa
- Rickman’s Big View - Motown Music
- Rickman’s Big View - Race and Racism
- Rickman’s Big View - “Raimondo Too Busy Raising Money”
- Rickman’s Big View: Children in Concentration Camps in America
- Rickman’s Big View - Dangerous Driving in Providence
- Primary Night: Conservative Talk Show Host Graham and Rickman Discuss Primary Results
- Rickman’s Big View - Vote
- Rickman’s Big View - Trump & Election Day