RI Needs Dedicated Funding For Afterschool Programs Under Trump, Says United Way’s Escobar on LIVE
Friday, May 25, 2018
Escobar joined GoLocal News Editor Kate Nagle where he spoke to the statewide network of over fifty providers who work with UWRI to provide enrichment opportunities for youth across Rhode Island — and to the UWRI goal of forming an “Out of School Time Learning Commission” in light of actions by the Trump Administration.
“Trump has proposed zeroing out a budget for 21st Century grants — six thousand youth could be impacted,” said Escobar.
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- LIVE: North Providence’s Caranci on Need for Town Ethics Commission
- LIVE: RI Restaurateur Brady Says Business “Best It’s Been” in Years
- LIVE: Save the Bay Calls for “Citizen Water Reporters”
- LIVE: RWU’s Roving Eye Film Festival Continues Through The Weekend
- LIVE: Reach Out & Read RI to Host Free “Read & Romp” at Roger Williams Carousel May 12
- LIVE: “Great American Pie Fight” for ALS at The Dorrance This Saturday
- LIVE: Options Magazine’s Rogers on Relaunch of LGBTQ+ Publication in RI
- Tuesday on LIVE: Comedian Champlin, Carita’s Smile & Professor Lawless
- LIVE: Carita’s Smile Gives Volunteers a Way to Take a trip, Change a Life
- LIVE: 12-Year-Old Singer Soraiya Uses Her Musical Talent to Help Communities
- LIVE: Dickinson on Latest Retiree Effort to Get COLAs Following Pension Reform
- LIVE: Special Olympics’ DeJesus on 50th Anniversary Celebration
- LIVE: Miss RI USA Demoranville on Upcoming Pageant—& Dreams of Opening Bakery
- LIVE: Newport Mayor Winthrop Discusses the Impact of the Volvo Ocean Race
- LIVE: Sail Newport’s Read Discusses the Thrilling Finish to Leg 8 of the Volvo Ocean Race
- LIVE: Prov Water Launches $1 Million Lead-Free Program to Help Property Owners
- LIVE: Narragansett Bay Commission’s Mesolella on Pursuing Providence Water Sale
- LIVE: Lawless on Melania Trump’s Health, Gaza Unrest, Tuesday’s Elections
- LIVE: Sail Newport’s Kelly Highlights the Race Village’s Exploration Zone
- LIVE: Tuiraviravi Says Volunteers are the “Face and Heart” of Volvo Ocean Race’s Newport Stopover
- LIVE: Youth in Action to Celebrate 20 Years with “Bloom” Party This Thursday in Providence
- LIVE: Morgan Promises to End Tolls in “Blueprint for a Stronger Rhode Island”