“Red Flag” Legislation Will be Taken Up in Coming Weeks, Says Mattiello on LIVE
Friday, March 02, 2018
After Governor Raimondo signed a non-binding red flag executive order this week, Mattiello said it is up to the General Assembly to take action.
“I was proud to co-sponsor the Red Flag proposal and it will be given a hearing in the House Judiciary Committee in the near future," said Mattello. "It is positive that the Governor is placing attention on the Red Flag issue, but the law needs to be changed by the General Assembly so law enforcement has the tools to take firearms away from individuals who pose a danger to themselves and the public.”
Mattiello spoke to the potential for taking up amended PawSox legislation -- as well as addressing budgetary challenges -- in a wide-ranging interview with GoLocal News Editor Kate Nagle.
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- LIVE: RI Coalition Against Gun Violence’s Finn On Banning Assault Weapons
- LIVE: Graham of Indivisible RI Discusses Major Anti-Trump Rally at RI State House on Sat.
- Friday on LIVE: Designer Artise, URI Professor Engelhart, & Speech Therapist Romeo
- LIVE: Lilian Calderon’s Lawyer Harris Talks Next Steps, After ICE Defended Detention
- LIVE: MIT Researcher Romeo On Importance Of Having Conversations With Children
- LIVE: Journalist/Author Flock On New Book “The Heart Is A Shifting Sea”
- LIVE: Bandleader Andrew Honors American Music in FirstWorks Gershwin Songbook
- LIVE: “Off The Mark” Cartoonist Parisi On Career and “Marty Pants” Book Series
- LIVE: NYT Bestselling Author Bloom On New Book “White Houses”
- LIVE: Graham Was “Right Man at Right Time,” Says Council of Churches’ Anderson
- Thursday on LIVE: Vocalist Michael Andrew, Journalist Flock, & Indivisible RI’s Graham
- LIVE: URI Researcher Engelhart On Impacts Of A Sinking State & Rising Sea Levels
- LIVE: Providence Teachers Union Head Blasts Trump’s Guns in Schools Proposal
- LIVE: American University’s Lawless Talks Kushner, Hicks, Lewinsky, and More
- LIVE: PPS’s Runyon Looks to Prioritize Saving Industrial Trust Building In 2018
- LIVE: Historian Wood On Founding Fathers Adams & Jefferson’s Contentious Friendship
- Wednesday on LIVE: Italian Winemaker Rivetti, Former Obama Advisor Coderre & Whitcomb
- LIVE: Residential Property’s Lapides: Goal is $1 Billion in Sales in 2018
- LIVE: Great Gadget Deals With CNET’s Cheapskate Broida
- Tuesday on LIVE: Historian Wood, PPS’s Runyon & Professor Lawless
- Monday on LIVE: Country Artist Lamantia, Decider’s Zalben & Business Monday
- LIVE: New TV Shows This Spring & What To Watch With Decider’s Zalben
- LIVE: 3 Ways To Maintain Your Running Goals With Rancourt Of Rhode Races
- LIVE: Cranston’s Lamantia On Breakthrough Country Album “Every Bad Habit”
- Thursday on LIVE: PC Professor Williams, Filmmaker Fitch, Hypnotist Santos Jr.