Economic Progress Institute’s Flum on Employment Focus at Upcoming RI Budget Conference
Friday, April 20, 2018
Andy Van Kleunen, Chief Executive Officer and founder of National Skills Coalition and one of the nation’s leading experts on workforce and education policy issues will review Rhode Island’s workforce development strategies, share best practices from around the country and discuss federal workforce development policy.
Following Van Kleunen, three panels of state agency leaders, community providers, and business leaders will address current services for low-skilled Rhode Islanders, the need for investments in these workers and innovative practices and ideas for improving workers' skills to meet the needs of employers and help more families on the road to economic security.
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- LIVE: 5 Ways Dungeons & Dragons Makes You A Better Person With Writer Gilsdorf
- LIVE: History of Colonial Cocktails and Spirits with Newsday Food Critic Hirsch
- LIVE: RI Charter Schools’ Oliveira on Battling for Level Playing Field in 2018
- Friday on LIVE: Alt-Rock Musician Alves, Let’s Read RI’s Becker & Children’s Friend Caprio
- LIVE: Becker’s Let’s Read RI Makes Reading The Reward For Kids
- Thursday on LIVE: Nashville Musician Madeira, Newsday’s Hirsch & Writer Gilsdorf
- LIVE: Brown Veterans Join RISD to Help RI Female Veterans in Need
- Tuesday on LIVE: UHIP’s Sherman, Prof. Lawless, OUT LOUD Theater’s Hawkridge
- LIVE: Upcoming Theater Hair & Wig Workshop with Artisan Christofferson
- LIVE: Hawkridge’s OUT LOUD Theater Announces Imaginative 6th Season
- LIVE: Curator Bevilicqua on “Hairbrained” Program at Providence Public Library
- LIVE: Brown Students Set To Launch Nano Satellite With NASA
- Monday on LIVE: Leland Baker Trio Performs, Athenæum’s Burriesci & Business Monday
- LIVE: Options Magazine’s Rogers on Relaunch of LGBTQ+ Publication in RI
- LIVE: Dickinson on Latest Retiree Effort to Get COLAs Following Pension Reform
- LIVE: “Great American Pie Fight” for ALS at The Dorrance This Saturday
- LIVE: RI Restaurateur Brady Says Business “Best It’s Been” in Years
- LIVE: North Providence’s Caranci on Need for Town Ethics Commission
- LIVE: 12-Year-Old Singer Soraiya Uses Her Musical Talent to Help Communities
- LIVE: Carita’s Smile Gives Volunteers a Way to Take a trip, Change a Life
- LIVE: Garceau of Robin Garceau Interiors On The Pursuit of Quality
- LIVE: Wheeler’s Famous Clothing & More Sale Celebrates 70 Years
- LIVE: Athenæum’s Burriesci On Expanding and Preserving Special Collections
- Tuesday on LIVE: Comedian Champlin, Carita’s Smile & Professor Lawless
- LIVE: Save the Bay Calls for “Citizen Water Reporters”