PC Hockey Coach Leaman: Team is Peaking for Hockey East Tournament Quarterfinals Friday
Thursday, March 08, 2018
The teams will meet in the postseason for the first time since the 2014 quarterfinals, when the Friars swept Maine in two games at Schneider Arena. Providence is 7-5 all-time against Maine in the postseason and is currently unbeaten in 16 games against the Black Bears (15-0-1).
Leaman spoke to how he thinks his young team -- with the smallest roster he has ever coached -- is peaking at the right time, as he ultimately eyes a return to the National Championship after winning the title in 2015, and is urging hockey fans in Rhode Island to come out and support the Friars at home with students being on spring break.
Related Slideshow: RI Teams To Win National Championships
PC Basketball 1960-61 NIT
The Providence College Friars won the National Invitation Tournament(NIT) in 1961, defeating St. Louis 62-59 at Madison Square Garden in New York.
At this time, the NIT was considered to be the National Championship of College Basketball.
The Friars were led by Vinny Ernst and James Hadnot that season.
PC Women's Cross Country
The 1995 Providence Friars won the programs first NCAA title. On the way, PC won their first BIG EAST and ECAC Championships.
Head Coach Ray Treacy was named NCAA Division I Women's National Coach of the Year, BIG EAST Men's and Women's Coach of the Year, Rhode Island Words Unlimited Women's Coach of the Year and NCAA District I Women's Cross Country Coach of the Year.
Brown Women's Crew '99
Brown women's crew won the first NCAA Division I Championship in Brown University History by defeating the University of Virginia by a three-second margin at lake Natoma in California.
Brown also won the Eastern Sprint Championship and the Ivy Championship, setting a new course record in the process.
Photo courtesy of Brownbears.com
Brown Women's Crew 2000
Brown repeated as national Champions in 2000, beating the University of Washington by 3.9 seconds four points.
In addition, Brown's varsity and second varsity won the Eastern Sprint Championship and the IVY league Championship.
Both teams went undefeated on the season.
URI Women's Sailing 2011
The URI Women won the programs first National Championship in small boat sailing in the 79 year history of the program and hoisted the Gerald C. Miller Memorial Trophy at the Sperry Top-Sider/Intercollegiate Sailing Association Women’s National Championship.
The Rams won the title as a club team and were one of two club teams competing for the title. The other club team was Western Washington, who finished 17.
Photo courtesy of uri.edu
PC Hockey 2015
The Providence College Friars won the 2015 NCAA Ice Hockey National Championship, defeating Boston University 4-3 at the TD Garden.
The Championship is the first in the program's history and only the third NCAA National Title in Providence College History.
PC goatender Jon Gillies was named Most Outstanding Player.
- LIVE: Residential Property’s Lapides: Goal is $1 Billion in Sales in 2018
- Wednesday on LIVE: Italian Winemaker Rivetti, Former Obama Advisor Coderre & Whitcomb
- Thursday on LIVE: PC Professor Williams, Filmmaker Fitch, Hypnotist Santos Jr.
- LIVE: PC’s Williams Says Predatory Bacteria Could Be Alternative to Antibiotics
- LIVE: Filmmaker Fitch On The Social Change “Island Soldier” Documentary Made
- LIVE: Historian Wood On Founding Fathers Adams & Jefferson’s Contentious Friendship
- LIVE: Cranston’s Lamantia On Breakthrough Country Album “Every Bad Habit”
- Tuesday on LIVE: Historian Wood, PPS’s Runyon & Professor Lawless
- LIVE: Great Gadget Deals With CNET’s Cheapskate Broida
- LIVE: PPS’s Runyon Looks to Prioritize Saving Industrial Trust Building In 2018
- LIVE: Cumberland’s Santos Jr. Helps Others Through Hypnosis
- Ruggerio on LIVE: I’m Open to Revised PawSox Legislation
- LIVE: NASA’s Arcand On Using Virtual Reality To Walk Among Stars
- LIVE: Lawless on Conway’s Hatch Act Violation, Nunberg’s Bizarre Behavior, & Hope Hicks’ Prospects
- LIVE: American University’s Lawless Talks Kushner, Hicks, Lewinsky, and More
- LIVE: The Woman Project Strives To Make Change Through Art
- LIVE: RI Latino PAC’s Molina Flynn: Next Steps for DACA & 3,000+ Dreamers in RI
- Wednesday on LIVE: Secretary of State Gorbea, PC Men’s Hockey Coach Leaman & The Taste
- LIVE: Tenor, Tomlinson, on Upcoming “Tomorrow’s Stars Today” Concert
- Tuesday on LIVE: NASA’s Arcand, PPAC’s Singleton & Lawyer Molina Flynn On Next Steps for DACA
- Friday on LIVE: The Hodgetwins, Actor Ricardo, Filmmaker Overton
- LIVE: Broadway Actor, Ricardo, on Beautiful: A Carole King Musical Tour
- Monday on LIVE: Film Critic Randolph, Soloist Tomlinson & Business Monday
- LIVE: Artistic Director, Kevin Broccoli on Epic Theater’s Edgy Upcoming Season
- Thursday on LIVE: Nutritionist Mulligan, Art Educator Carpentier, Organizing Expert MacRae