Passion for Pumpkins Founder John Reckner on LIVE
Wednesday, October 11, 2017
Thousands of pumpkins, dozens of artists, and miles of electrical wire, are just some of the extensive resources needed to make the Jack-o-lantern Spectacular happen each year.
Each intricate piece of pumpkin art needs to be re-created multiple times throughout the course of the event to make up for the fact that the organic medium will eventually expire, constant maintenance is required to keep the display looking fresh, Reckner explains.
The theme for this year’s event, which was chosen in February, is Time Travel, and will feature pumpkins with iconic images throughout time.
The Jack-o-Lantern Spectacular is currently open at Roger William’s Zoo through November 5.
Related Slideshow: 20 Things to Look Forward to This Fall in New England - 2017
The Changing of the Leaves
One of the cool things about the fall season is the leaves on the trees and the colors that they change too.
According to smokeymountain.com, prime foliage season in New England is late September into early October.
Look forward to an enjoyable walk around the neighborhood and see how many different colors you can pick out, or just enjoy the beauty.
The fall season signifies the return of pumpkins. Pumpkin beer, pumpkin pie and most of all pumpkin picking.
Pumpkin picking is a timeless event for families, especially those with young kids who will love to just run around and grab whichever pumpkin looks good to them.
Sam Adams Octoberfest Beer
One of the fun things about the changing of seasons is the changing of beer flavors and with fall comes Sam Adams Octoberfest.
The Oktoberfest idea was born in 1810 when Munich celebrated the Crown Prince's wedding with a 16-day party with a special beer.
Sam Adams builds off of that idea with a beer that is perfect for the season.
Phantom Gourmet Food Festival
The Phantom Gourmet Food Festival is an event to look forward too and it will be held on September 12 from 12- 4 p.m. on two streets next to Fenway Park.
Tickets are $40 in advance and online and will go up to $50 at the event.
The ticket includes sampling 100 of Phantom's foods from hot dogs and pizza to pulled pork and more. Beer and wine will be served on the street.
Get more information here.
The New England Patriots Return
The NFL returns and that means the defending Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots are back.
The Patriots have won two of the last three Super Bowls and are heavily favored to win another this season.
The Patriots kick off their season on Thursday, September 7 against the Kansas City Chiefs.
A great fall family event, especially those with young kids, is apple picking.
Nothing more fun than grabbing the nicest looking apple that you can find, giving it a quick wash off and then biting into it. Delicious.
Fall Boat Ride to Block Island
Though the summer weather is winding down, there is still great weather coming and great opportunities to get on the ferry and head over to Block Island for the day, or maybe even multiple days.
Fall trips to Block Island are something to look forward too.
Click here for more information.
Attend Waterfire in Providence
Summer may be nearing the end, but Waterfire
Waterfire is the premiere event in Providence and if you haven't gotten to one yet during the summer or fall season, now is the time to plan.
Waterfire is a great night out with different vendors, music and other entertainment lining the city streets while the river is lit up by the fire. For a really romantic and fun night, hop on a gondola ride.
The Return of Your Favorite TV Shows
One of the down sides of summer is that there is very little to watch on TV as far as new shows go. Thank goodness for Netflix and or HBO on demand.
However, the return of the fall season means the return of all the popular TV shows like Gotham, Game of Thrones, Arrow and several others.
Look forward to having something to watch at night after a long day at work.
Who's not looking forward to Halloween? Not looking forward to dressing up as your favorite character or as just a very spooky looking person and going out and collecting candy to last you days, months and longer.
Who isn't looking to forward to decorating their houses to make it the creepiest house on the block.
Halloween is great for kids and adults alike and is certainly something to look forward to.
Great Golf Weather Remaining
The end of Summer does not mean the end of golf season.
The fall is a great time of year for golfing at Harbor Lights or any of the courses across the state.
The fall offers some of the best golfing weather of the year, not too hot and not too cold.
Golf season has not left.
Harpoon Brewery Oktoberfest in Boston
Harpoon Brewery will hold their 27th annual Octoberfest from September 29 through September 30.
The event will feature Harpoon brews, bratwursts, chicken dancing and German chocolate cake eating contests as well as Oompah music.
Harpoon Brewery is located at 306 Northern Ave in Boston.
Click here for more information or for tickets.
Roger Waters at TD Garden
One of the musical highlights of the fall season is rock n' roll legend Roger Waters coming to Boston's TD Garden.
The former Pink Floyd star will play two shows in Boston, the first on Wednesday, September 27 and the second on Thursday, September 28.
King Richards Faire
Dive into history at King Richard's Faire, New England's oldest and largest Renaissance Festival and most beloved annual fall event. Dress up, play games and learn a lot at a fair that is a great fall event for the entire family.
The Fair runs from September 2 through October 22.
Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular at Roger Williams Park Zoo
What better way to spend a fall evening than strolling through Roger Williams Park Zoo and viewing some cool Jack-O-Lanterns.
The Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular at Roger Williams Park is a Rhode Island and New England Fall staple featuring thousands of illuminated pumpkins from October 5 to November 5 with admission from 6 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- American University’s Lawless on Las Vegas, Puerto Rico, 2018 Polls, and More on LIVE
- “Chopped” Winner Baldini on LIVE: “There’s a Revolution of Food and Technology”
- Psychic Medium Matt Fraser on GoLocal LIVE
- LIVE: Reggae Artist Matisyahu at The Greenwich Odeum
- LIVE: Local Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer Taylor Helps Entrepreneurs Brand Themselves
- Moore and Fenton Discuss Who’s Hot and Who’s Not on GoLocal LIVE
- Leading Invenergy Opponent Roselli Declares for Gov. Against Raimondo in Primary on GoLocal LIVE
- LIVE: Les Miserable’s Best Talks Playing Eponine at PPAC
- LIVE: Paddington Illustrator R.W. Alley on Upcoming Appearance at RI Festival of Children’s Books
- LIVE: Puerto Rico Fundraiser Taking Place this Sunday in Providence
- LIVE: Using Self-Defense Tactics to Combat Bullying, with Marc Bochner
- Dennis Calls Elorza “Missing” From Providence on GoLocal LIVE
- LIVE: RIBBA’s Goudiaby Highlights the Organization’s Annual Gala Taking Place Friday
- Comedian & TV Personality Carly Aquilino on Friday’s LIVE
- Trends in Cybersecurity with Endgame Top Expert on LIVE
- LIVE: Custom Made Guitars With Local Luthier David Grande
- LIVE: PRONK! Celebrates 10 Years of Music and Community Activism
- Providence Councilman Salvatore Talks City Finances, Crime, and Schools on LIVE
- LIVE: Five Reasons To Rotate Your Wardrobe
- LIVE: 11-Year-Old Ben Togbay Talks About Winning Young Entrepreneur of the Year
- Anthony’s Palmisano Says He Wants to Open a 2nd Restaurant on LIVE’s The Taste
- Gen. Centracchio Highlights the Scituate Art Festival on LIVE’s The Taste
- Federal HIll Commerce Assoc.‘s Tarro Highlights the Columbus Day Festival on LIVE’s The Taste
- LIVE: Stand-up Comedian Carly Aquilino Talks Career, Comedy & Inspiration