Organize LIVE: 10 Ways to Simplify Your Laundry Routine
Friday, September 01, 2017
MacRae suggests while the laundry is going think of other things you can get done at the same time while like preparing lunches and outfit planning.
“Think of the buzzer on the dryer as a timer for managing your time and try to get tasks done between loads,” MacRae says.
MacRae talks through 10 tips to simplify laundry.
- Plan ahead.
- Separate by the person.
- Complete the task.
- Create a folding station.
- Is it really dirty?
- Re-use, or create less.
- Organize your laundry room.
- Make it easy.
Related Slideshow: Organizing Products For Your Closet
Flip flop organizer
How many flip flops do you own? Are they thrown all over the closet floor? How long does it take you to find a match to one of them? Bed Bath and Beyond has a $9.99 flip flop organizer that holds 6 pairs of flip flops and hangs nicely in your closet. This is a must-have if you have more than 5 pairs of flip flops. I’ve purchased these for my clients and they work great!
You love your scarves, but it takes you forever to locate one and you have to throw 5 around to find the one you are searching for. Use a scarf organizer and you will be able to see all your scarves and find them at a moment’s notice. Bed Bath and Beyond has a few different types of scarf organizers, including this one for $9.99.
Did you know people who didn’t own shoe racks were 7 times more likely to show up late for an event? Are your shoes in piles on the floor? Get them off the floor and contain them in a shoe rack. There are many options out there, like this one from Bed Bath and Beyond. Choose the shoe rack that is going to fit what you need to hold and fit in the space you are working with.
How are you storing your handbags? Are they stored all over your closet? Are they in bins or crumpled up on the floor? It’s time to organize your bags. There are many options depending on the space you are working with. You can stand them up on a shelf, you can hang them, or if they are small, you can store them in a canvas bin. The choice is yours. Think about how you function and develop a system from there.
Baseball cap organizer
How many baseball caps do you own? How are they organized in your closet now, and how long does it take you to find one? The Container Store (pictured here), Bed Bath and Beyond, and other stores sell this baseball cap organizer. I have a few clients that have purchased them and they love them!
Function over flash
There are many variations on these products. Choose the product that is right for you. There are some organizing products I would never use, but other people might choose to use them. Choose the one that is going to be the most efficient and productive product for you and your family. Don’t choose a product because it’s pretty, choose it based on functionality. Search online for different products before you rush out and purchase a product. You may find that one store is more expensive than another. Don’t forget if you are going to Bed Bath and Beyond to use their 20% off coupons. If you don’t want to purchase these items, get creative and re-purpose items around the home, or make your own!
Kristin Carcieri-MacRae, the founder and owner of Organizing in RI, has always enjoyed finding creative ways to streamline the environment around her. She has appeared on air on Patricia Raskin's Positive Business Radio and her articles have been published in the Rhode Island Small Business Journal and New England Home Life. Kristin's CD, Organizing Basics, is a 1-hour guide for the person who wants to get organized but doesn't know where to start. She is also available for organizing workshops. Tune into her weekly radio show, Organize, Energize! on Mondays at 8:30am on www.talkstreamradio.com.
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter in May
- Organize + Energize: Organize a First-Aid Kit
- Organize + Energize: 9 Things to Remember When Purchasing Organizing Supplies
- Organize + Energize: Creating Systems in the Home
- Organize + Energize: Disorganized Offices. What’s in Yours?
- Organize + Energize: 5 Reasons You Need to Organize Your Garage
- Organize + Energize: Mice and Clutter!
- Organize + Energize: 3 Ways Being Organized Will Help You Become More Efficient & Productive!
- Organize + Energize: 4 Reasons People Let Paper Piles Form
- Organize + Energize: 4 Things to Remember When Organizing Your Basement
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter in April
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways to Avoid Distractions & Stay Focused
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter in June
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter & Organize in August
- Organize + Energize: You’ve Organized Your Office. What’s Next?
- Organize + Energize: 6 Tools I Use to Stay Organized, Efficient, & Productive
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Organize With Your Kids Before They Go Back to School
- Organize + Energize: Organizing Your Teen for Back to School
- Organize + Energize: 5 Reasons It’s Time to Get Organized
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways Technology Has Ruined Productivity
- Organize + Energize: 6 Things to do to Prepare for Your Move
- Organize + Energize: 6 Reasons You Can’t Get Rid of Your Paper Clutter
- Organize + Energize: How Bad do You Want it?
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter in July
- Organize + Energize: Teachers! 8 Tips to Organize Your Classroom
- LIVE: Providence Improv Guild Turns Five Years Old
- LIVE: Rhode Island’s Emerging Leaders: Richard Norris
- LIVE: 6 Tips For Buying A Laptop For College - CNET contributor Rick Broida
- LIVE: Filmmaker Ana Gonzalez on her RI Hip-Hop Documentary, “Almost Dope”
- LIVE: Bios Urn, A Biodegradable Urn That Grows A Tree From Ashes
- LIVE: Brandon’s Beach Playground at Burnside Park Opens
- LIVE: Elephant Sanctuary’s Montgomery Talks Protecting & Preserving Elephants
- LIVE: Seekonk School of Rock’s Shawn Garrity & All-Star Performance
- LIVE: Broadway News from The Broadway Blog’s Matthew Wexler
- LIVE: Bring Your Own Improv, RI’s Family Friendly Improv Group
- LIVE: 19-Year-Old Singer/Songwriter Rennick Overcomes Chronic Disease to Headline at Met Cafe
- GoLocal LIVE: Central Falls Supt Capellan on Opportunities—and Challenges—This School Year
- LIVE: Dutra Talks About Over 40 Years of Dance Education at The Carolyn Dutra Dance Studio
- LIVE: Tony Estrella on The Gamm’s 2017-2018 Season
- LIVE: Brussat Talks New Book, “Lost Providence” - Warns Providence of New Development
- LIVE: DARE Calls on RI Housing to Make Greater Effort to Address Affordable Housing
- LIVE: Latest on ACLU Medical Marijuana Battle Against Smithfield
- LIVE: Pitts-Wiley on Exult Choir’s 10th Annual ‘Greatness of Gospel’ Concert
- LIVE: iLuminate Dance Captain, Lisa Bauford, Talks Tech & Dance Steps
- LIVE: Newport Historical Society Hosts Reenactment of British Occupation of Newport’s Old Quarter
- LIVE: Data From URI Shark Research Suggests Mako Sharks Are Overfished
- LIVE: Preserving Vintage Video Games At Rhode Island Computer Museum
- LIVE: Professor Talks About Students at Salve Regina Work on Cyber Defense Study
- LIVE: RI’s Pontenza on How Rhythm & Roots Festival Saved & Launched Her Career