LIVE: Writer, Director Moschitto to Debut “Artemisia’s Intent” at Providence Fringe Festival
Wednesday, August 01, 2018
Providence Fringe Festival.
Melissa Moschitto, the show’s writer and director, joined GoLocal LIVE in the Navigant Credit Union Broadcast Center to discuss the show’s journey and inspiration. Moschitto’s New York-based group, The Anthropologists, draws inspiration from history, using documents and sources to create unique stories.
“Artemisia’s Intent” tells the story of Artemisia Gentileschi, a lesser-known female artist from the 17th Century. Moschitto first learned of the artist through a massive exhibition of her works in Rome. Though she wasn’t able to attend in person, the exhibition sparked an interest that led to Moschitto and her team’s research.
Aside from her works, Artemisia’s story was preserved through transcripts of a 1612 court case involving a tutor accused of assaulting her.
Mariah Freda takes the stage solo in the play, telling Artemisias’ story to a new generation. Though the events took place in the 17th century, Moschitto believes the themes are timeless, relating to modern-day audiences.
“Artemisia’s Intent” has two Rhode Island performances at the Wilbury Theatre Group, a black box theater located at 40 Sonoma Court in Providence. Opening night is Tuesday at 8:30 p.m., with an encore performance on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the door.
- The Wilbury Group to Present Providence’s 1st Annual Fringe Festival
- LIVE: Providence Children’s Film Festival Looks To Connect Community
- Metheny, James to Play Newport Jazz Festival’s Friday Night Concert
- Second Wave of Artists Announced for 2018 Newport Jazz Festival
- Free Historic Film Festival “Il Cinema Ritrovato on Tour” to be Held at Brown
- Third Wave of Artists Announced for 2018 Newport Jazz Festival
- LIVE: Repetiteur from George Balanchine Trust on Bringing “Rubies” to Festival Ballet
- Newport Jazz Festival Announces First Wave of Artists for 2018 Festival
- LIVE: Festival Ballet Providence’s Ricci on “The Widow’s Broom”
- 11th Short Short Story Film Festival to Take Place Over Thanksgiving Weekend
- Short Short Story Film Festival Comes to AS220 Thanksgiving Weekend
- LIVE: RI Black Storytellers Celebrates its 20th Annual Funda Festival
- Gallery Z’s ArtMobile Moby to Tour Festivals Across RI
- LIVE: RWU’s Roving Eye Film Festival Continues Through The Weekend
- Newport Jazz Festival Announces Complete 2018 Schedule
- 20 Must See Performances at 2018 Newport Folk Festival
- PHOTOS: 2018 Newport Folk Festival - Friday Highlights
- 2018 Newport Folk Festival - Saturday Highlights
- Top Vocalists Set to Perform at Newport Jazz Festival
- Rock N’ Roll Hall of Famer Clinton to Perform at Newport Jazz Festival