LIVE: What Rhode Island is Doing About Gun Violence
Friday, October 20, 2017
According to Everytown Research, a non-partisan, non-profit organization working to understanding and reducing gun violence in America, there is a strong link to domestic violence and mass shootings. Data shows fifty-four percent of mass shootings have a domestic violence connection.
Boylan says strong domestic violence laws work, stating that “cities in states that restrict access to firearms by those under domestic violence protective orders see a twenty-five percent reduction in intimate partner gun deaths.”
Rhode Island passed a new law in September to bar gun possession by abusers convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence crimes.
Related Slideshow: The Power List - Health and Education, 2016
Russell Carey - A name few outside of Brown’s campus know, but Carey is the power source at the Providence Ivy League institution.
Today, his title is Executive Vice President and he has had almost every title at Brown short of President. Carey is a 1991 graduate of Brown and has never left College Hill.
While Brown’s President Christine Paxson — who is functionally invisible in Rhode Island — is managing alumni affairs and fundraising, Carey is influencing almost everything in Rhode Island.
Top Raimondo Appointment
Nicole Alexander-Scott - MD, MPH, and rock star in the making. As Director of the Rhode Island Department of Health, she is fast developing a reputation as someone in the Raimondo Administration who can get things done. Her counsel and leadership on developing a strategy on opioid addiction has been widely been lauded.
In addition, she has handled the mundane - from beach closings to food recalls - with competency. An expert in infectious disease, it may be time for her to become a strong leader on Zika.
Ronald Machtley - Bryant University's President rightfully deserves to be on a lot of lists, but what few understand is that Machtley’s influence extends far beyond Bryant’s campus in Smithfield. Machtley could make this list as a business leader or as a political force as much as for education.
Machtley is recognized for transforming Bryant University from a financially struggling regional college to a university with a national reputation for business.
Machtley serves on Amica’s Board and the Rhode Island Foundation, and also serves on the Board of Fantex Brands.
Larry Purtill - While Bob Walsh gets the face time as the Executive Director in the media for the NEA of Rhode Island, NEARI President Purtill tends to be the inside man who gets things done.
The teachers' largest union is formidable, but is still reeling from the beat down it took when Gina Raimondo’s pension reform cut the benefits of teachers disproportionately over other employee groups.
Make no mistake about it - not much happens in education in Rhode Island without Purtill's sign-off.
Mim Runey - While Rhode Islanders wait, and wait some more, for development on the 195 land, Johnson and Wale's University's Runey is watching it come to fruition, as JWU is set to open the first completed building on the former Interstate on September 1, when it will host a ribbon cutting for its John J. Bowen Center for Science and Innovation.
Under Runey, JWU continues to establish its foothold as one of the country's top schools for culinary training. Now Runey will oversee the addition of the new building on the old 195 which will house the university's School of Engineering and Design and its biology program.
In 2015, students from the School of Engineering & Design participated in the construction of the Holocaust Memorial on South Main Street, a collaboration between the Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island and the Holocaust Education Resource Center of Rhode Island.
A true community partner in every sense, JWU under Runey's watchful eye is expanding to an even greater presence in Providence.
Chairman of the Board
Edwin J. Santos - The former banker is Chairman of the Board of CharterCare, after having been a top executive at Citizens Bank. He has been a board leader for Crossroads, Washington Trust, Rocky Hill School -- you name it and Santos has helped to lead it.
His best work to date just might be at CharterCare, where he has helped the once fledgling hospital (Roger Williams Medical Center) into a growing hospital system.
Weber Shill - He serves as the Chief Executive Officer of University Orthopedics, or in other words, dozens and dozens of oh-so-confident docs.
Shill has a background in Engineering and a Masters in Business Administration from the Whitemore School at the University of New Hampshire. Experienced in managing medical groups, but this group is big and influential.
Timothy Babineau - President and CEO of Lifespan, Rhode Island's biggest healthcare organization, where financial challenges make the job that much more complicated.
Now, the critics (GoLocalProv included) are raising concerns about the multi- billion dollar organization's refusal to make any contribution to the City of Providence. Lifespan is like General Motors, big and hard to innovate the organization.
- LIVE: RIBBA’s Goudiaby Highlights the Organization’s Annual Gala Taking Place Friday
- LIVE: Local Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer Taylor Helps Entrepreneurs Brand Themselves
- LIVE: 11-Year-Old Ben Togbay Talks About Winning Young Entrepreneur of the Year
- LIVE: Five Reasons To Rotate Your Wardrobe
- LIVE: Custom Made Guitars With Local Luthier David Grande
- LIVE: Reggae Artist Matisyahu at The Greenwich Odeum
- “Chopped” Winner Baldini on LIVE: “There’s a Revolution of Food and Technology”
- LIVE: Les Miserable’s Best Talks Playing Eponine at PPAC
- LIVE: Paddington Illustrator R.W. Alley on Upcoming Appearance at RI Festival of Children’s Books
- LIVE: Puerto Rico Fundraiser Taking Place this Sunday in Providence
- LIVE: Using Self-Defense Tactics to Combat Bullying, with Marc Bochner
- LIVE: PRONK! Celebrates 10 Years of Music and Community Activism
- LIVE: Stand-up Comedian Carly Aquilino Talks Career, Comedy & Inspiration
- LIVE: Southside Cultural Center of RI Hosts Benefit Concert for Hurricane Relief
- LIVE: Creating Stylish Thanksgiving Decor
- LIVE: Stop-Action Filmmaker Plate Featured at Vortex Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Horror Film Festival
- LIVE: RI’s Director of Veterans Affairs Yarn Talks About Efforts to Reach Out to Vets in Need
- LIVE: PC’s Prof. Brooks Says Sexual Harassment is a “Prevalent Phenomena” in Our Culture
- LIVE: Artist Begin Previews “The Edge of Light” at Providence Art Club
- LIVE: Crush Fitness Studio Focuses on Empowerment & Community Giving
- LIVE: Chachi Carvalho; Rapper, Educator & Youth Advocate
- LIVE: Four Areas to Organize With Your Kids
- LIVE: Podcasting Duo Chuck and Brad Host Live Halloween Comedy Show
- LIVE: Over 8,000 Expected In Newport for Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival
- LIVE: Doctor Capraro Empowers Bystanders to Save Lives With NaloxBox