LIVE: Tips to Organizing Your Closet with Kristin MacRae
Friday, March 17, 2017
The owner of Organizing In RI, (http://www.organizinginri.com/) says a good way to clean out your closet is to take inventory and make piles.
MacRae suggests “keep, toss, sell and donate” piles, along with, “maybe” and “try on” piles. MacRae says the piles are important to keep focus and move forward with your organization project.
To declutter and organize closet space, MacRae says space saving items like bins with lids, space bags and storage benches are also very helpful tools.
Related Slideshow: Organizing Products For Your Closet
Flip flop organizer
How many flip flops do you own? Are they thrown all over the closet floor? How long does it take you to find a match to one of them? Bed Bath and Beyond has a $9.99 flip flop organizer that holds 6 pairs of flip flops and hangs nicely in your closet. This is a must-have if you have more than 5 pairs of flip flops. I’ve purchased these for my clients and they work great!
You love your scarves, but it takes you forever to locate one and you have to throw 5 around to find the one you are searching for. Use a scarf organizer and you will be able to see all your scarves and find them at a moment’s notice. Bed Bath and Beyond has a few different types of scarf organizers, including this one for $9.99.
Did you know people who didn’t own shoe racks were 7 times more likely to show up late for an event? Are your shoes in piles on the floor? Get them off the floor and contain them in a shoe rack. There are many options out there, like this one from Bed Bath and Beyond. Choose the shoe rack that is going to fit what you need to hold and fit in the space you are working with.
How are you storing your handbags? Are they stored all over your closet? Are they in bins or crumpled up on the floor? It’s time to organize your bags. There are many options depending on the space you are working with. You can stand them up on a shelf, you can hang them, or if they are small, you can store them in a canvas bin. The choice is yours. Think about how you function and develop a system from there.
Baseball cap organizer
How many baseball caps do you own? How are they organized in your closet now, and how long does it take you to find one? The Container Store (pictured here), Bed Bath and Beyond, and other stores sell this baseball cap organizer. I have a few clients that have purchased them and they love them!
Function over flash
There are many variations on these products. Choose the product that is right for you. There are some organizing products I would never use, but other people might choose to use them. Choose the one that is going to be the most efficient and productive product for you and your family. Don’t choose a product because it’s pretty, choose it based on functionality. Search online for different products before you rush out and purchase a product. You may find that one store is more expensive than another. Don’t forget if you are going to Bed Bath and Beyond to use their 20% off coupons. If you don’t want to purchase these items, get creative and re-purpose items around the home, or make your own!
Kristin Carcieri-MacRae, the founder and owner of Organizing in RI, has always enjoyed finding creative ways to streamline the environment around her. She has appeared on air on Patricia Raskin's Positive Business Radio and her articles have been published in the Rhode Island Small Business Journal and New England Home Life. Kristin's CD, Organizing Basics, is a 1-hour guide for the person who wants to get organized but doesn't know where to start. She is also available for organizing workshops. Tune into her weekly radio show, Organize, Energize! on Mondays at 8:30am on www.talkstreamradio.com.
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Organize Your Email Inbox
- Organize + Energize: Simplify Your Laundry Routine
- Organize + Energize: Tips for Organizing Holiday Decorations
- Organize + Energize: Plan & Prepare This Holiday Season
- Organize + Energize: 6 Tips to Organize Kid’s Toys Before The Holidays
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways to Survive the Holidays
- GoLocalTV: Jackson Recall Organizers Make Case for Signatures on Election Day
- Jackson Recall Organizers Object to Latest Court Ruling
- Jackson Recall Organizers File Motion to Continue Collecting Signatures
- Organize + Energize: Overwhelmed? You’re Not Alone
- Organize + Energize: Give Experiences Instead of Things This Holiday Season
- Organize + Energize: 2016 Year in Review
- Organize + Energize: 9 Reasons You Need to get Organized Now!
- LIVE: Organize and Energize - Make Life Less Chaotic
- Organize + Energize: 8 Things Not to do When Packing for Vacation
- Organize + Energize: 6 Ways to Stay Focused at Work
- LIVE: Six Ways Being Organized Can Help You Lose Weight
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter in March
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways to Find More Time in Your Day
- Organize + Energize: 4 Areas to Declutter This Month
- Organize + Energize: 4 Spaces to Declutter This Month
- Organize + Energize: How Much do You Need to be Happy?
- Organize + Energize: Is Your Nightstand Giving you Nightmares?
- Organize + Energize: Organizing Your Memorabilia
- Organize + Energize: 3 Ways Being Organized Will Help You Become More Efficient & Productive!