LIVE: RI’s Zarrella Shows Special Connection To K-9s In Documentary “Searchdog”
Tuesday, March 20, 2018
Zarrella’s, who developed the Rhode Island State Police’s first search and rescue K-9 program, rescued and rehabilitated dogs on verge of euthanasia. He trained those dogs and others to become part of the search and rescue K9 team.
His story told over the course of four years, is now the documentary “Searchdog” made by Rhode Island filmmaker Mary Healy Jamiel.
While no longer working in law enforcement, Zarrella owns the business American Patriot K9 Training that offers a range of services including sessions for domestic clients and classes in K9 Search and Rescue.
Related Slideshow: 10 Great Pets in Need of Loving Homes - March 20, 2018
My name is Cordelia. I am a 3 year old medium sized mixed breed female. I was originally found as a stray in Detroit, MI. My friends at Detroit Animal Care and Control drove me all the way out here to help me find my forever home. I am a social, bouncy, silly girl who loves to play with toys. I am still figuring out my manners so teens or adults only would be best for me. But I love to play with dogs so I would love to live with one. Come in and meet me today!
My name is Cricket! I am a 3 year old medium sized mixed breed female. I was originally found as a stray in Detroit, MI but my friends at Detroit Animal Care and Control drove me out here to find a home. I am an active, adventurous girl who would be a great running or hiking partner. I would do well with sturdy children as I still jump on people when I am excited. My 2 legged friends at PARL are working on my basic obedience and say I am making lots of improvement (what can I say, the treats are yummy!) Dogs are cool with me as long as they are okay with lots of playing. Come meet me today!
Hi there, my name is Powder Puff. I am a 9 year old medium sized mixed breed looking for her forever home. I would do best in a home as the only pet but I enjoy being around older children and am very social with people. Don't let my age fool you, I am still an active, spunky girl who loves to go for walks and play around. I am Lyme positive but am getting treatment for that. I also am working with staff and my friend Heather of Outbound Hounds on my reactivity around other dogs. If you are interested in me, come meet me at PARL today!
My name is Lucy and I am a 5 year old female. I am a lady with a lot of spunk and personality, what some people might call "tortitude". My feline-ality is "Executive". I have to say, I'm a busy cat. First, I've got to check out what's happening out the window. Next, I'll see if any closets or cupboards need looking into. And then there are my naps ? can't be late for those. I can fit a little socializing into my schedule. Shall we plan on breakfast and dinner? I hope you like kibbles.
My name is Penny and I am 1 year old female. I am a very special lady with some special medical considerations and am looking for a loving, quiet home to give me lots of love and attention. My feline-ality is "Secret Admirer". When it comes to relationships, I'm very level-headed. I don't leap in paws first, if you know what I mean. But give me a little time, and then I'll shower you with purrs, head-butts, and plenty of lap time. In the meantime, you may not see a lot of me but I'll be thinking a lot of you!
My name is Solace and I am a 10 year old female. I am a senior lady with particular likes and dislikes. I like a quiet place to nap and feel safe, and prefer to get to know one or two people really well instead of having lots of people around. My feline-ality is "Private Investigator". I'm working undercover to keep an eye on you and your household. You may not even know you're under surveillance. I can vanish into thin air if anyone or anything interferes with my investigation. If you need a cat who knows how to stay out of trouble and will always keep your secrets, I just might take your case.
My name is Pookie and I am a 10 1/2 year old female. I am a senior lady that knows what I want in life, and want a human who will cater to my whims. When it comes to my personality, it can be hard to describe. When I first meet you, I am skeptical. I may rub on your legs to check you out, but I prefer to take it slow! Once I get to know you, I can be a little demanding and do things like sit in front of your computer screen or jumping up on your lap. I don't care if you're busy, because what I want comes first!
My name is Darjeeling and I am a 9 1/2 year old female. I am a sensitive older lady looking for a nice quiet home. My feline-ality is "Secret Admirer". When it comes to relationships, I'm very level-headed. I don't leap in paws first, if you know what I mean. But give me a little time, and then I'll shower you with purrs, head-butts, and plenty of lap time. In the meantime, you may not see a lot of me but I'll be thinking a lot of you!
My name is Bella and I am a 12 year old male. I am a large sweet cat with a good heart, but I need some time to learn to trust you. My feline-ality is "Secret Admirer". When it comes to relationships, I'm very level-headed. I don't leap in paws first, if you know what I mean. But give me a little time, and then I'll shower you with purrs, head-butts, and plenty of lap time. In the meantime, you may not see a lot of me but I'll be thinking a lot of you!
My name is Jake and I am a 14 year old male. I am a super-senior with great manners and a sweet personality! Please come meet me and give me just a few minutes to warm up to you and I'll honor your with some wonderful purrs and head-butts. My feline-ality is "Love Bug". Do you seek affection? I do! If you also like petting, purrs, and paws kneading your lap, I think we might have a LOT in common. I'm looking for "someone who enjoys quiet times and togetherness." Could that someone be you?
- LIVE: URI Will Have Game Plan to Avenge St. Joe’s Blowout, Says WRIU’s Kinch Ahead of A-10 Semifinal
- LIVE: Southside Community Land Trust’s DeVos On Building a Sustainable Local Food System
- LIVE: Brown University’s Friedman on How Big Data Can Impact Economic Mobility
- Monday on LIVE: Vassar’s Prof. Mills, Special Olympics RI’s Powers & Business Monday
- LIVE: Special Olympics RI’s Powers On Ending Use Of The R-Word
- LIVE: Lincoln Native Peralta Opens Vintage Pet Rescue, A Retirement Home For Dogs
- LIVE: Awareness Is Key Message For Battling Migraine Disease At Brain Week RI
- Thursday on LIVE: Nutritionist Mulligan, Art Educator Carpentier, Organizing Expert MacRae
- LIVE: 8 Reasons You Need To Declutter With MacRae of Organizing in RI
- LIVE: TinTown Studio Provides A Space For Art Education & Inspiration
- Friday on LIVE: Journalist Crouse, SCLT’s DeVos, & Vintage Pet Rescue
- LIVE: How To Survive A Kitchen Renovation With Design Expert Garceau
- LIVE: Author Mills Explores History Of Black Barber Shops In “Cutting Along the Color Line”
- LIVE: Ripple Effect - RI Hospital’s Chief of Trauma Dr. Adams On Impact of Impaired Driving Crashes
- LIVE: The Food Mood Girl Smith On Why You Should “Eat Your Feelings”
- LIVE: A&J Bakery Now Offering Vegan Goods Among Allergen Friendly Foods
- Monday on LIVE: Newport Historical Society’s Taylor, K-9 Trainer Sgt. Zarrella & Business Monday
- LIVE: Cummings Takes Super Plunge, Raising Awareness For Special Olympics RI
- LIVE: Lancia to Bring in FCC to Address Rhode Island 911 Issues
- LIVE: House Finance Chair Abney Looking at Option of Moving to Biennial State Budget in RI
- Tuesday on LIVE: Storm Updates All Day, Weather Channel’s Knabb & Naval War College’s Roehrig
- LIVE: Organizing Your Garage With MacRae Of Organizing in RI
- Friday on LIVE: Pop Singer King in The Lounge, Bristol Oyster Bar’s Sebring & A&J Bakery’s Hitzeman
- LIVE: RI “Teachers Bill of Rights” Proposed by Rep. O’Brien
- Tuesday on LIVE: AS220’s Rivera, DESIGNxRI’s Carnevale & Professor Lawless