LIVE: Providence City Council President Salvatore Talks 2018 Finances & Goals
Saturday, January 06, 2018
He said other goals and priorities for 2018 include working on the long-term finances of the city, including discussing the “close to one billion dollars unfunded pension liability.”
Salvatore says the Council will also work on economic development issues.
He became Council President in late December. Councilwoman Sabina Matos had been acting Council President for about eight months after Councilman Luis Aponte was forced to give up the position. Aponte is under indictment by the Attorney General's office on charges relating to Aponte's campaign funds and reporting.
Salvatore is often listed on potential shortlists of potential candidates to challenge now-Mayor Jorge Elorza. Others include already announced Kobi Dennis, State Representative John Lombardi, and businessman Lorne Adrian.
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- Salvatore Making Move for Providence City Council President (UPDATED)
- Salvatore on Students Throwing Bottles at Cops in Providence - and Higher Office Aspirations
- Salvatore Elected New Providence City Council President
- PowerPlayer: Providence Councilman David Salvatore
- PODCAST: Councilman David Salvatore
- Providence Councilman Salvatore Talks City Finances, Crime, and Schools on LIVE
- Salvatore Taps Seasoned Policy and PR Pro for City Council Office, McKenna Out
- Salvatore to Host Veteran’s Day Rededication of Lafazia Square
- Friday on LIVE: Environmentalist Spalding & Prov City Council President Salvatore
- LIVE: WGBH Radio Host O’Donovan Talks A Christmas Celtic Sojourn at The Vets
- LIVE: Ways to Give to The Homeless this Holiday Season with Crossroads RI
- Wednesday on LIVE: LaSalle Bakery’s Manni & The Guild’s Duffy
- LIVE: Edgewood Residents Ramp Up Fight Against Cumberland Farms—Again
- Thursday on LIVE: Dr. Rich, Musician Gates and a Wedding Special
- Tuesday on LIVE: A Celtic Sojourn’s O’Donovan, WILDEE, & Prof. Lawless
- LIVE: Brown Professor Hastings Working To Eliminate Sexual Harassment In Geoscience Fields
- LIVE: Leadership Alliance’s Ghee Says STEM Fields Need Diversity
- LIVE: United States Archivist Ferriero On Preserving Our Nation’s History
- Monday on LIVE: Earth Science Women’s Network’s Hastings, Draper & Sasse
- LIVE: RI Podcasters Chuck And Brad Host Christmas Comedy Show
- LIVE: Last-Minute Gift Ideas With Hope and Main’s Montagnon
- LIVE: Musician Gates Performs “No Vacancy” & Talks Show At The Met
- LIVE: Rhode Island’s Emerging Leaders Bennett Thompson
- Friday on LIVE: Comedian Mencia and Nutritionist Mulligan
- LIVE: Comedian Mencia Talks Standup and Inspiration
- Tuesday on LIVE: Berndt of Metal Band Kilgore & Singer EMELINE
- Thursday on LIVE: Choreographer Skybetter and “The Silks” Kelly
- LIVE: New Printshop & Media Arts Workshops Offered at AS220
- LIVE: Rep. Ranglin-Vassell on Need for Community Response to Joblessness & Gun Violence in RI
- LIVE: Kelly of The Silks Performs “All I Do” & Talks New Music
- LIVE: Dr. Rich on Tackling RI’s Opioid and Drug Overdose Death Epidemic
- PPAC’s “Love Never Dies” Lead Cortes on LIVE: “It’s Just Beautiful”
- LIVE: National Law Enforcement Officer Fatalities Down 10% in 2017