LIVE: NASA Scientist Arcand Talks Black Holes, Asteroids & Total Solar Eclipse
Friday, June 30, 2017
Arcand says black holes aren’t really giant vacuum cleaners as science fiction makes them out them to be.
In fact, Arcand describes the black hole at the center Milky Way galaxy astronomers have named Sagittarius A as “chill.”
Black holes can range in size and using the Chandra satellite, Arcand says astronomers can learn more about how they influence what’s around them.
The total solar eclipse is August 21, which means the sun, moon and Earth will all line up and the sun’s light will be blocked by the moon.
Arcand says there won’t be a total eclipse in Rhode Island, but about a 65% coverage will be visible. She explained that you must wear proper eclipse glasses to see the eclipse and make sure you’re in place to see it by 2:30 p.m.
Arcand says there are some unexpected things that happen with an eclipse, like temperature drop and it can get so dark that insects get confused.
- Preview Tuesday’s GoLocal LIVE: Musicians Take Over in the First Hour, Including Johnny Gates
- LIVE: RI Community Spay/Neuter Clinic Approaching 50,000 Surgeries
- LIVE: Sincere Da Emcee Wants the RI Hip Hop Sound to Shine on New Album
- LIVE: Bristol’s DaPonte Jr. is Part of 1st Non-Korean K-Pop Group, EXP Edition
- LIVE: Broadcast Premiere of RI Native Johnny Gates New, Original Music
- LIVE: Stages of Freedom Creating RI Black History Tour Booklet
- LIVE: Plastics And The Fight For The Future
- LIVE: Advancements in Migraine Treatment and World Migraine Solidarity Day
- LIVE: Raimondo’s Mixed Signals on Paris & Burrillville, Bradford Dam Removal, and More
- LIVE: Isle Brewers Guild’s Duffy on Craft Beer, Business, and Growth
- LIVE: Summer Style & Men’s Swimwear with Blueprint 5
- LIVE: Rhode Island Sea Grant Director Says Program is Still In Jeopardy
- LIVE: RI Composer Schlink Brings Original Production Queen Boudicca: A Metal Opera to Fringe PVD
- LIVE: Sam Hood Adrain Performs Song from New Musical “The Untitled Shape Show”
- LIVE: Rhode Islanders to Rally Against U.S. Senate’s “Trumpcare” Legislation on Wednesday
- LIVE: Follow the Money - RI Native & DC Consultant Sullivan on Obamacare Repeal
- LIVE: Opponents to PawSox-Apex Deal to Gear Up for Latest Battle
- LIVE: Filmmaker Kenny Young Talks About Animated Dog Fighting Film, “Chance”
- LIVE: Goatscaping With “Herd of Hope” Choosing Goats, Not Chemicals To Clear Land
- LIVE: Progress Continues On East Greenwich Animal Protection League’s New Building
- LIVE: Creating a Customer Experience Is Key To Luca & Danni Success
- LIVE: Paralyzed to Ironman - RI’s Theroux Talks New Book “Fillet To Finish”
- LIVE: URI Hurricane Expert Ginis Builds Models of High Impact Hurricane Scenarios
- LIVE: Pawtucket Native Alper Creates Dating App Hater, Matching People Based On What They Hate