LIVE: Local, National Advocates Push for “Hair Braider Freedom” at RI Senate
Friday, March 23, 2018
Mike Stenhouse with the Rhode Island Center for Freedom and Prosperity spoke to a measure having been approved in the House in 2017 -- with no Senate companion measure. This year, Senate Bill No. 2323 was introduced by Senators Dawn Euer, Ana Quezada, Ryan Pearson, Jeanine Calkin, and Donna Nesselbush, which Senate Commerce took up following GoLocal LIVE.
Christina Walsh with the Washington, D.C. based Institute for Justice provided the national perspective of which other states are addressing the issue -- saying that it's a barrier to employment to require thousands of dollars -- and hours -- of training for skills not needed by braiders.
Finally, Cranston resident Misty Harris spoke with Nagle about what she called her natural "protective" hairstyle -- after having overcome health issues, she said her hair growth was a result of the monthly braiding. Harris testified in support of the Senate legislation on Thursday.
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- LIVE: RI “Teachers Bill of Rights” Proposed by Rep. O’Brien
- Friday on LIVE: Pop Singer King in The Lounge, Bristol Oyster Bar’s Sebring & A&J Bakery’s Hitzeman
- LIVE: House Finance Chair Abney Looking at Option of Moving to Biennial State Budget in RI
- LIVE: Lancia to Bring in FCC to Address Rhode Island 911 Issues
- LIVE: The Food Mood Girl Smith On Why You Should “Eat Your Feelings”
- LIVE: Organizing Your Garage With MacRae Of Organizing in RI
- Tuesday on LIVE: Storm Updates All Day, Weather Channel’s Knabb & Naval War College’s Roehrig
- Monday on LIVE: Vassar’s Prof. Mills, Special Olympics RI’s Powers & Business Monday
- LIVE: Special Olympics RI’s Powers On Ending Use Of The R-Word
- LIVE: How To Survive A Kitchen Renovation With Design Expert Garceau
- LIVE: Author Mills Explores History Of Black Barber Shops In “Cutting Along the Color Line”
- LIVE: Ripple Effect - RI Hospital’s Chief of Trauma Dr. Adams On Impact of Impaired Driving Crashes
- LIVE: A&J Bakery Now Offering Vegan Goods Among Allergen Friendly Foods
- LIVE: Effort to Bury Power Lines at India Point Park in Providence Heats Up
- LIVE: DeFrancesco Explains Yearly Slater Mill History Tour; “Blow it Out”
- Wednesday on LIVE: Singer/Songwriter Volkmann Performs, & Top Technology Attorney Harris
- RIEMA Director Gaynor on LIVE: Wet, Heavy Snow & Power Outages Expected Tonight
- Thursday on LIVE: Dr. Hack on The Ripple Effect, RI NOW’s Friedman + LIVE at State House
- LIVE: DESIGNxRI Celebrates Bauhaus with Inaugural Designer’s Ball
- LIVE: RI HPV Vaccine Activist Gardiner Warns Against “Bad Database Bill”
- Monday on LIVE: Newport Historical Society’s Taylor, K-9 Trainer Sgt. Zarrella & Business Monday
- LIVE: Cummings Takes Super Plunge, Raising Awareness For Special Olympics RI
- LIVE: RI’s Zarrella Shows Special Connection To K-9s In Documentary “Searchdog”
- Tuesday on LIVE: AS220’s Rivera, DESIGNxRI’s Carnevale & Professor Lawless
- LIVE: Singer/Songwriter Volkmann Performs In The Alex and Ani Lounge