LIVE: Home Design For “Aging in Place” With Robin Garceau
Tuesday, June 13, 2017
Garceau explains more people are taking the steps to design or remodel their homes so that they can age in place, meaning stay in their homes and age comfortably and with ease.
To custom design a or rennovate a home to age in place, Garceau says design the floor plan and keep in mind what could happen down the road. She says think about universal design, like wider hallways and doorways that will allow for wheelchair access and a wheelchair to turn around.
Another simple concept is making the thresholds to doorways flush to eliminate tripping hazards.
The bathroom and showers are other areas people think about when they consider age in place design. Garceau says there are many types of shower designs even handles available with modern looks and feels to make it easy to get into and out of the shower.
- LIVE: Festival of Historic Houses Highlights Upper Elmwood Historic District
- LIVE: 100th Anniversary of George M. Cohan’s “Over There”
- LIVE: Jazz Artist Kowal Plays Vibraphone
- LIVE: Celebrating Italian-American Women’s Culture with Daniela Mansella Paolino
- LIVE: Hood Adrain & What Will The Neighbors Say? Brings Original Theater to Providence
- LIVE: Four Systems to Get Organized In Your Office
- LIVE: Trinity Rep Actor & PVD Fest’s Grand Marshal, Wilson Jr, Talks Art & Activism
- LIVE: Neurofeedback, Psychologist Explains The Mental Health Treatment of Training Your Brain
- LIVE: Billy Gilman Talks RI Roots, New Music, and Christmas Concert
- LIVE: Rapper/Educator Harry “Jon Hope’ Grigsby to Teach Hip Hop Course at RIC
- LIVE: Playwright Frank Toti Discusses The Oral History Play TRANS*
- This Week on LIVE: Harper’s Publisher, British Security Expert, NY Times Best Selling Author Green
- LIVE: Sea Vegetables & Future of Aquaculture with Opton-Himmel of Walrus & Carpenter Oysters
- LIVE: New Chowder, New Competition at The Great Chowder Cook-Off
- LIVE: Celebrating World Ocean Day With Mystic Aquarium and A Horseshoe Crab
- LIVE: Inside Look at New, Renovated & Historic Apartments on Downtown Providence Living Tour
- LIVE: Members of “Take It To The Bridge” with Culp Perform & Talk Health
- LIVE: Access and Education Mission for Natural Sunscreen Founder
- LIVE: Four Office Systems To Organize
- LIVE: Star of Netflix’s HUSH, Kate Siegel On Upcoming Projects, Motherhood, & More
- LIVE: Nutrition with Shira Hirshberg - Packing a Healthy Lunch
- LIVE: NYT Best-Selling Author Green Talks New Book “The Sunshine Sisters”
- LIVE: Forefather of Indie Hip-Hop, RI’s Sage Francis, Reinvents Himself in New Group
- LIVE: 12-Year-Old Quadruple Threat, Kayciblu, Performs New Song
- LIVE: Critters, Clinics and Events with Providence Animal Rescue League