LIVE: Downtown Neighborhood Association Restoring Providence Riverwalk
Tuesday, July 25, 2017
Providence Downtown Neighborhood Association (DNA) says it’s critical for people to take part and give back to the community they live, work and play in.
“There’s so much in this beautiful city that needs love,” DeGrandpre says, “it’s tough to take care of everything.”
Over the course of a year, the DNA has been working with the Providence Parks Department, and the City of Providence to transform half a mile stretch of the of the Providence riverwalk.
DeGrandpre says about 160 volunteers replaced broken and missing cables, sanded and repainting railing pillars along the riverwalk from the Hurricane Barrier to Hemenway's restaurant.
“It gives people a sense of ownership and a sense of pride,” DeGrandpre says.
The next phase in restoration will include sanding and repainting railings in Memorial Park along the Providence riverwalk. The group is looking for volunteers on August 7 at 5:30 p.m.
Volunteers are asked to sign up through Eventbrite and meet in Memorial Park.
- LIVE: Learning Henna with Artist Caunt-Nulton
- LIVE: Whitcomb Says Chances of PawSox Going to Worcester are Slim
- LIVE: Berglund Talks Natural Cycle, 1st App Certified For Contraception
- LIVE: Kaplan Believes RI Could Become Innovation District
- LIVE: Little State Flower Co. Expands Farm & Production
- LIVE: How To Train Your Robot; Littman Talks About the Future of Machine Programming
- LIVE: Trinity Repertory Company and RI Latino Arts Adaptation of Romeo & Juliet
- LIVE: Hiebner Says Au Courant Fundraiser Will Help Kids Aging Out of Foster Care
- LIVE: Haynes Says Prov Kayak Co. Is Expanding Hours & Offering Guided Tours
- LIVE: Songwriter Matt Cusson on New Album “Only Human”
- LIVE: Pawtucket’s Zussman Enabling Self-Employment Through Pangea App
- LIVE: Sasse Says Long Term View Required to Judge Economic Development
- LIVE: Hilton Providence General Manager Discusses New Residence Inn
- LIVE: The 21st Flickers’ RI International Film Fest Offers New Events Throughout The State
- LIVE: Crowne Plaza’s Dallaire Says it Offers Largest Amount of Hotel Meeting Space in RI
- LIVE: Morris Brings His Indie Rock Group, The Unlikely Candidates, to Providence
- LIVE: Free Outdoor Movie Nights Highlight Summer at Pawtucket’s Slater Mill
- LIVE: Project 401’s Maldonado on “Honoring & Appreciating Women” Saturday at Riverside Park
- LIVE: Omni’s Goldman Boasts Why the Hotel Is the Biggest and Strategically Important to RI
- LIVE: Shekarchi Says General Assembly Leadership Close To Budget Resolution
- LIVE: Nenner Says Gurney’s Newport Spent $12 Million on Rebranding & Renovating the Property
- LIVE: Hartley talks about Rhode Island’s 1904 World Fair Connections
- LIVE: Working on Walking’s Silva Brings Awareness to Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- LIVE: Williams Explains His $3 Million Lincoln Library Donation
- LIVE: Athenæum’s Burriesci Says “A Hunger For Humanities” Led To Record Breaking Year