LIVE: Organizing for Weekday Mornings
Friday, September 22, 2017
MacRae, who heads "Organizing in RI," posed the following:
"How many of you rush around in the morning trying to get yourself and your family ready? Do you get a chance to sit and enjoy breakfast, check your emails, or read the news? Get organized this school year and you will have more free time to enjoy. The house won’t be hectic and everybody will start the day on the right foot.
Most kids crave structure, but when both parents are disorganized… it’s tough to get that structure. Here are 5 tips to make your weekday school mornings easier."
Related Slideshow: Organizing Products For Your Closet
Flip flop organizer
How many flip flops do you own? Are they thrown all over the closet floor? How long does it take you to find a match to one of them? Bed Bath and Beyond has a $9.99 flip flop organizer that holds 6 pairs of flip flops and hangs nicely in your closet. This is a must-have if you have more than 5 pairs of flip flops. I’ve purchased these for my clients and they work great!
You love your scarves, but it takes you forever to locate one and you have to throw 5 around to find the one you are searching for. Use a scarf organizer and you will be able to see all your scarves and find them at a moment’s notice. Bed Bath and Beyond has a few different types of scarf organizers, including this one for $9.99.
Did you know people who didn’t own shoe racks were 7 times more likely to show up late for an event? Are your shoes in piles on the floor? Get them off the floor and contain them in a shoe rack. There are many options out there, like this one from Bed Bath and Beyond. Choose the shoe rack that is going to fit what you need to hold and fit in the space you are working with.
How are you storing your handbags? Are they stored all over your closet? Are they in bins or crumpled up on the floor? It’s time to organize your bags. There are many options depending on the space you are working with. You can stand them up on a shelf, you can hang them, or if they are small, you can store them in a canvas bin. The choice is yours. Think about how you function and develop a system from there.
Baseball cap organizer
How many baseball caps do you own? How are they organized in your closet now, and how long does it take you to find one? The Container Store (pictured here), Bed Bath and Beyond, and other stores sell this baseball cap organizer. I have a few clients that have purchased them and they love them!
Function over flash
There are many variations on these products. Choose the product that is right for you. There are some organizing products I would never use, but other people might choose to use them. Choose the one that is going to be the most efficient and productive product for you and your family. Don’t choose a product because it’s pretty, choose it based on functionality. Search online for different products before you rush out and purchase a product. You may find that one store is more expensive than another. Don’t forget if you are going to Bed Bath and Beyond to use their 20% off coupons. If you don’t want to purchase these items, get creative and re-purpose items around the home, or make your own!
Kristin Carcieri-MacRae, the founder and owner of Organizing in RI, has always enjoyed finding creative ways to streamline the environment around her. She has appeared on air on Patricia Raskin's Positive Business Radio and her articles have been published in the Rhode Island Small Business Journal and New England Home Life. Kristin's CD, Organizing Basics, is a 1-hour guide for the person who wants to get organized but doesn't know where to start. She is also available for organizing workshops. Tune into her weekly radio show, Organize, Energize! on Mondays at 8:30am on www.talkstreamradio.com.
- LIVE: Men’s Fall Fashion With Fortier of Blueprint 5
- LIVE: Albanese Takes One-man Show “The Last Sicilian” To New York City
- LIVE: Selecting Wall Coverings and Wall Treatments For Your Home
- LIVE: Social Worker Reposa Says Speaking Up Could Save A Life
- LIVE: Inside Look at Mystic Aquarium’s Animal Rescue Program
- LIVE: Masury of Eating With the Ecosystem Says Asking For Local Fish Makes A Difference
- LIVE: STYLEWEEK Features 15 Local and National Designers
- LIVE: Pnuehaus Design Collective Shows Off Inflatable Public Art at Pawtucket Arts Festival
- LIVE: Pletcher Gives a Preview of First Works’ 2017-18 Season
- LIVE: Find More Time In Your Day With Efficiency Expert Kristin MacRae
- LIVE: Harvard Researcher Says Rising CO2 Levels Put Millions At Risk of Protein Deficiency
- LIVE: Capital Good Fund’s Posner on Assisting with DACA Renewals
- LIVE: Joie Calio of Dada Talks About 25th Anniversary Tour
- LIVE: Eco-Friendly Clothing Label DEVINTO Showing at STYLEWEEK Northeast
- LIVE: RI First Tech Challenge Paves Way For A Future in STEM Careers
- LIVE: US Snowboarder Ty Walker Talks Olympics, Big Air & Brown
- LIVE: American Idol’s Maroulis on Latest Role, EVITA at North Shore Music Theater
- LIVE: Alfandre Talks About Island Moving Co.’s 2017 Open For Dancing Festival
- LIVE: Save The Bay Holds Rhode Island’s Coastal Cleanup
- LIVE: Army Veteran Boothe Hopes to Heal With Humor, Creates Animated Show “Discharged”
- LIVE: Adrain Looking to Run for Mayor of Providence in 2018, Biking Across U.S.
- LIVE: Cruz Liking Racy Tweet is “All DC is Talking About,” Says Lawless
- LIVE: Miss Teen RI 2017 Alexa Papigiotis Passes the Crown & Talks About What’s Next
- LIVE: Broadway News with The Broadway Blog’s, Matthew Wexler
- LIVE: Hilary Jones from Girls Rock RI; Empowering Girls Through Music