“It’s Definitely a Medical Crisis Right Now” Dr. Santo’s Describes Conditions in Puerto Rico
Saturday, October 21, 2017
“It’s definitely a medical crisis right now, and we are in an emergency mode. Not even in a recovery phase,” Santos says.
Santos, who also serves as an assistant professor of urology at Brown University, says there are many medical challenges to overcome, including limited vaccinations, poor water supply, limited insulin and unreliable power sources at hospitals.
Another urgent need is a coordinated response for what she says is an imminent mental health crisis.
“Some of the most disturbing distress calls from physicians on the island are the reported suicides, which the government has yet to confirm, Santos says, “we do not yet know how many have occurred, or will occur in the future, but we know that the risk grows with each passing day of desperation.”
Santos grew up in Puerto Rico and received her undergraduate and medical degrees from the University of Puerto Rico.
Related Slideshow: 20 GIFS From Hurricane Irma
- LIVE: Five Reasons To Rotate Your Wardrobe
- LIVE: 11-Year-Old Ben Togbay Talks About Winning Young Entrepreneur of the Year
- LIVE: Custom Made Guitars With Local Luthier David Grande
- LIVE: PRONK! Celebrates 10 Years of Music and Community Activism
- LIVE: Stand-up Comedian Carly Aquilino Talks Career, Comedy & Inspiration
- LIVE: RIBBA’s Goudiaby Highlights the Organization’s Annual Gala Taking Place Friday
- LIVE: Local Fashion & Lifestyle Photographer Taylor Helps Entrepreneurs Brand Themselves
- LIVE: Puerto Rico Fundraiser Taking Place this Sunday in Providence
- LIVE: Using Self-Defense Tactics to Combat Bullying, with Marc Bochner
- “Chopped” Winner Baldini on LIVE: “There’s a Revolution of Food and Technology”
- LIVE: Reggae Artist Matisyahu at The Greenwich Odeum
- LIVE: Chachi Carvalho; Rapper, Educator & Youth Advocate
- LIVE: Four Areas to Organize With Your Kids
- LIVE: RI’s Director of Veterans Affairs Yarn Talks About Efforts to Reach Out to Vets in Need
- LIVE: Stop-Action Filmmaker Plate Featured at Vortex Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Horror Film Festival
- Friday’s LIVE: RI Doctor Janice Santos on Helping Puerto Rico’s Medical Crisis
- LIVE: Doctor Capraro Empowers Bystanders to Save Lives With NaloxBox
- LIVE: What Rhode Island is Doing About Gun Violence
- LIVE: Southside Cultural Center of RI Hosts Benefit Concert for Hurricane Relief
- LIVE: Creating Stylish Thanksgiving Decor
- LIVE: Podcasting Duo Chuck and Brad Host Live Halloween Comedy Show
- LIVE: Over 8,000 Expected In Newport for Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival
- LIVE: Crush Fitness Studio Focuses on Empowerment & Community Giving
- LIVE: Artist Begin Previews “The Edge of Light” at Providence Art Club
- LIVE: PC’s Prof. Brooks Says Sexual Harassment is a “Prevalent Phenomena” in Our Culture