Houston Recovery Expert on Impact of Harvey, and How to Clean Up on GoLocal LIVE
Tuesday, August 29, 2017
Blanchard, who is a globally recognized expert practitioner in community development and disaster recovery, appeared with GoLocal CEO Josh Fenton about the current situation in Texas -- and lessons for other communities to consider in the face of disaster.
"It's a volatile time to live with a lot of disruption -- at some point, you'll face something the likes of which you haven't faced in your resilience plan," said Blanchard, via Skype. "The strength of the community before the incident shapes your ability to come together after."
"There's a fork in the road. There's [the blame], the 'why us'....and then the other way, which is that we're human, our systems are imperfect, everything we know to do won't be enough," said Blanchard. "It's about creativity, resolve, and compassion [to recover]."
Blanchard spoke to pictures and video of the continued evacuation efforts in Houston, as the rain is expected to continue to come down in the coming days.
"You can't [just] move 6.5 million people," said Blanchard, of Houston and the surrounding areas impacted by the flooding.
Blanchard -- and BIF
Blanchard has close ties to Rhode Island, having participated in past Business Innovation Factory (BIF) summits in Providence, and is slated to take part in #BIF2017 this September.
As BIF writes:
Through her more than thirty years of experience, thought leader Angela Blanchard has reached an epiphany: A community should be defined by its strengths, resources, achievements, and hopes – not its degree of “brokenness”.
As a result of her unwavering and passionate efforts as president and CEO of Neighborhood Centers Inc., Blanchard has extended this community development framework throughout the Houston region to impact over 500,000 people a year. Under Angela’s vision and leadership, Neighborhood Centers remains the largest non-profit in Texas and is ranked in the top 1% of charitable groups in the nation.
- Business Innovation Factory Announces #BIF2017 Media Partner With GoLocal24 - Will Live Stream
- Wall Street Journal Tech Superstar Mossberg on LIVE Thursday for #BIF2017 Summit Storyteller Series
- BIF Scores Million Dollar Grant from NY’s Carnegie Corporation
- Fast Company’s Webber Talks Media, Innovation on GoLocal LIVE’s #BIF2017 Summit Storyteller Series
- “Mr. Innovation” Saul Kaplan of BIF Talks RI’s Biggest Salesperson on GoLocal LIVE
- “Mr Innovation” Saul Kaplan Joins GoLocal LIVE and Talks Uber, GE, and the Eclipse
- Fast Company Co-Founder Webber to Preview #BIF2017 Summit Storyteller Series on GoLocal
- BIF’s Kaplan Says Deepwater Wind is an Example of RI Taking Advantage of Its Size
- Pat’s Andruzzi on His Personal Journey from NFL to Cancer - #BIF2017 Summit Speaker Series
- BIF’s Kaplan on GoLocal LIVE’s Business Monday Looks at Uber’s Controversial CEO
- Introducing BIF’s Design Methodology for Next Practices and New Business Models
- Business Innovation Factory BIF10 Summit Draws Packed Crowd at Trinity Rep
- Kaplan: Next Practices vs. Best Practices
- Saul Kaplan: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Goodness
- LIVE: Saul Kaplan Talks the Innovation of RI Government Tech
- LIVE: Kaplan Talks About the Potential to Innovate RI’s Economy Via the Colleges
- Kaplan: Three Things Are Changing: 1) The Market 2) BIF 3) Me
- Kaplan: Welcome To #BIF2016
- Saul Kaplan: Topics Are Overrated!
- Saul Kaplan: The Human Side of Innovation
- Saul Kaplan: You Don’t Have to Go to a Conference to Enjoy It
- Brown Grad Andrew Kaplan Awarded Rhodes Scholarship
- Saul Kaplan: So Many Corporate Innovation Labs, So Little Innovation
- Saul Kaplan: “The Innovator” Discusses How RI Can Transform Its Attitude and Performance
- The Innovator Saul Kaplan Says Its Time to Rethink Parking, Transportation, and Commuting
- LIVE: Kaplan Believes RI Could Become Innovation District
- Kaplan Discusses RI’s Missed Opportunity to Innovate
- Kaplan: What’s Your From…To Story?
- Mr. Innovation Saul Kaplan Say RI Could Be America’s Laboratory for Change
- “Mr. Innovation” Saul Kaplan on Amazon and Whole Foods Merger and Impact on RI
- The Innovator Saul Kaplan on Why Failing is the Key to Success When Reinventing
- Kaplan: Innovation Lessons From Michelangelo