“Doors Open RI” Festival Highlights Behind-the-Scenes Look at Prov This Weekend
Friday, September 22, 2017
Doors Open RI Founder and Executive Director Caroline Stevens -- who had run Chicago's "Doors Open" event before coming to Rhode Island -- spoke with GoLocal's Kate Nagle about what people can expect from the free, open-to-the-public event on Saturday.
There are 24 participating sites, including the Cranston St. Armory, the attic of Providence City Hall and the Mayor's Office; the dome of the Beneficent Congregational Church; a tour through New England's largest shipping container building, the Box Office; the State House (not normally open on weekends); the rarely seen military collections inside the Benefit St. Arsenal; Barnaby's Castle, and a micro unit inside the Arcade.
The mission of Doors Open RI is to connect the public to places of cultural, historical and architectural significance "in an effort to bridge communities and inspire new perspectives on our cities.
Related Slideshow: 10 Great Things to do in RI This Weekend - September 22, 2017
14th Annual Providence Improv Fest at AS220
This year’s festival will feature over 40 improv comedy troupes from across the country.
Included in this year’s line-up are headliners Orange Tuxedo and Trew +2, and acts from Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago, Vermont, New Orleans, Boston, and, Rhode Island.
The festival starts at 7 p.m. and goes until midnight.
Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival
The 12th annual Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns.
Signature events include the Grand Tasting with hundreds of wines and celebrity chef demonstrations; the Wine & Rosecliff Gala; Burgundy Grand Cru Dinner; the Vintner Dinner, a Sunday Jazz Brunch, food and wine seminars, and the Newport After Dark Party.
The festival goes from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Waterfire is the premiere event in Providence and if you haven't gotten to one yet during the summer or fall season, now is the time to plan.
Waterfire is a great night out with different vendors, music and other entertainment lining the city streets while the river is lit up by the fire. For a really romantic and fun night, hop on a gondola ride.
Waterfire begins at 6:41 p.m.
Fordham vs Bryant Football
The Bryant Bulldogs will celebrate homecoming on Saturday when they host Fordham.
Bryant is 1-2 on the season and looking to get back in the win column following back-to-back losses to Maine and then Brown.
Kick-off is set for 1 p.m.
Doors Open RI Festival
During the Doors Open RI Festival participants will have behind-the-scenes access to over 20 great places and spaces across Providence, for free.
Using a widely distributed event guide and mobile-enabled website, participants will be able to build their own explorations of participating venues.
No tickets or reservations necessary.
The festival goes from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
XOS Exchange Street Open Studios
Visit 40 creative artists in studios and work/live lofts in 3 renovated mill buildings just steps from each other in Pawtucket’s Armory Arts District.
See an array of fine art and crafts, chat with artists about their concepts and techniques, watch demos, and make purchases tax-free.
The event goes from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- LIVE: Men’s Fall Fashion With Fortier of Blueprint 5
- LIVE: Albanese Takes One-man Show “The Last Sicilian” To New York City
- LIVE: Selecting Wall Coverings and Wall Treatments For Your Home
- LIVE: Social Worker Reposa Says Speaking Up Could Save A Life
- LIVE: Inside Look at Mystic Aquarium’s Animal Rescue Program
- LIVE: Masury of Eating With the Ecosystem Says Asking For Local Fish Makes A Difference
- LIVE: STYLEWEEK Features 15 Local and National Designers
- LIVE: Pnuehaus Design Collective Shows Off Inflatable Public Art at Pawtucket Arts Festival
- LIVE: Pletcher Gives a Preview of First Works’ 2017-18 Season
- LIVE: Find More Time In Your Day With Efficiency Expert Kristin MacRae
- LIVE: Harvard Researcher Says Rising CO2 Levels Put Millions At Risk of Protein Deficiency
- LIVE: Capital Good Fund’s Posner on Assisting with DACA Renewals
- LIVE: Joie Calio of Dada Talks About 25th Anniversary Tour
- LIVE: Eco-Friendly Clothing Label DEVINTO Showing at STYLEWEEK Northeast
- LIVE: RI First Tech Challenge Paves Way For A Future in STEM Careers
- LIVE: US Snowboarder Ty Walker Talks Olympics, Big Air & Brown
- LIVE: American Idol’s Maroulis on Latest Role, EVITA at North Shore Music Theater
- LIVE: Alfandre Talks About Island Moving Co.’s 2017 Open For Dancing Festival
- LIVE: Save The Bay Holds Rhode Island’s Coastal Cleanup
- LIVE: Army Veteran Boothe Hopes to Heal With Humor, Creates Animated Show “Discharged”
- LIVE: Adrain Looking to Run for Mayor of Providence in 2018, Biking Across U.S.
- LIVE: Cruz Liking Racy Tweet is “All DC is Talking About,” Says Lawless
- LIVE: Miss Teen RI 2017 Alexa Papigiotis Passes the Crown & Talks About What’s Next
- LIVE: Broadway News with The Broadway Blog’s, Matthew Wexler
- LIVE: Hilary Jones from Girls Rock RI; Empowering Girls Through Music