Benny’s Bromberg Says Family Tried to Sell the Company — GoLocal LIVE
Tuesday, September 12, 2017
“Retail environment is changing…its going online and it's not the only thing, but a big part of it,” said Arnold Bromberg, VP of Benny's, on GoLocal LIVE.
Benny’s did not sell online, for the most part, did not market online, and continued to run Sunday inserts in local newspapers.
Bromberg is a third-generation family member and has been one of the managers of the company for decades. He told GoLocal CEO Josh Fenton that he worked to sell the company rather than close the 31 store chain.
He had worked at the company since he was in high school. He started by building bikes in the summers on the third floor of the Benny's then-located in a house on North Main Street in Providence. Today, he is 66-years-old.
Last Friday, the family announced they would be closing all of the stores — located in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut — by the end of 2017.
As a result of the stores closing and the chain's demise, more than 700 full and part-time employees will be laid-off.
Related Slideshow: Retailer Store Closings in U.S. Thru June 2, 2017
- All Benny’s Stores Closing, Amazon Factor Hits RI, 700 Out-of-Work UPDATED
- The Death of Benny’s — a Little Bit of Our Soul is Gone
- Fecteau: We Killed Benny’s
- Moore: Benny’s Sad, Market-Driven Demise
- One RI Company on Best Retail Brands in US List
- NEW: RI Blue Cross & Blue Shield to Open Retail Store in Warwick
- Smart Benefits: Health Insurers Go Retail
- RISD Students Open Innovative Retail Space in Downcity
- UPDATED: GoGo Cast Lands GTECH - Now Largest Retail TV Network
- “New and Noteworthy” App To Boost Local Supermarkets, Retailers
- RI’s Dead Retail Brands
- Retailers Lose Two of Their Biggest Days to Blizzard
- LaSalle Named Top Retail Bakery in the US
- NE Retailer Benny’s Thrives Despite No Online Sales
- DeRoche: Patent Trolls Targeting RI Retailers & Main Street Businesses
- See Which RI Retailers Have Been Fined for Selling Cigarettes to Minors
- Over 200 RI Retailers Have Been Caught Selling Tobacco to Minors Since 2014
- EXCLUSIVE: Alex and Ani Lays Off Top Execs - CFO/COO, SVP of Sales, Director of Retail All Out
- Is Providence Place at Risk? Thousands of Retail Stores Close Across U.S.
- Opponents Blast Online Retail Tax for Hurting RI Businesses
- New Balance to Open Retail Location at Garden City Center
- BBB Warns Consumers of Online Retailer, shopZoey.com
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of RI Opens Bristol Retail Location
- Major Retailers’ Thanksgiving Day Shopping Hours
- NEW: Alex and Ani Announces Retail Expansion
- Is Wayland Square the ‘Canary in the Coal’ Mine for the Slow Death of Retail?