Rep. Amore on Bill to Put Armed School Resources Officers in All RI Schools
Thursday, February 22, 2018
“Simply put, too many of our children are dying in our schools. And while the debate over access to guns continues to wage on a national level, these two bills will protect our children while we fight for a solution to our national gun violence epidemic,” said Representative Amore.
The first bill would require that all Rhode Island public schools have a school resource officer on the premises -- if a school has over 1,200 students, two school resource officers would need to be present.
“This bill is necessary because some of our schools already have a resource officer, but, others do not. Having a trained police officer in our schools is the first line of defense in stopping a potentially deadly and tragic situation from unfolding in Rhode Island’s schools,” added Representative Amore.
The second bill would appropriate additional state school and housing reimbursement for renovation and construction in schools that follows national school security best practices.
“The amount of upgrades and new school construction that is needed in our state is no secret. But, along with making our schools into acceptable teaching facilities for our students, we cannot ignore security updates that will protect our kids from acts of violence as well. Our schools need to be safe, dry, healthy, and most importantly, secure, and this bill will accomplish that,” said Amore.
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- LIVE: “Bidder 70” Screening in RI - Activist DeChristopher on Flighting Bush Administration & More
- LIVE: CODAC’s CEO & President Hurley On Opioid Treatment & The Overdose Epidemic
- LIVE: Naval War College’s Bundy on World’s Largest Unmanned Ship “Sea Hunter”
- Monday on LIVE: Foolproof’s Garrison, Blueprint 5’s Fortier, & Business Monday
- LIVE: Exploring Providence’s Housing Struggle Through Historic Records With Archivist Horton
- LIVE: The Guild’s Duffy On Expanding Partnerships & New Brews
- Friday on LIVE: Penguins in Studio, Activist DeChristopher, CODAC’s Hurley
- LIVE: DARE’s Mills on 2018 Providence Rent Control Campaign
- LIVE: Providence Children’s Film Festival Looks To Connect Community
- LIVE: James Beard Foundation National Scholar Contillo Strives To Help Others Through Nutrition
- LIVE: Organizing Ideas On A Budget With MacRae
- LIVE: Spring Fashion & Fortier Launches New Italian Lines At Blueprint 5
- LIVE: Foolproof Brewing Company Expands Outside of New England
- LIVE: GOP Gubernatorial Candidate Morgan Questions “Where Fung Stands” on LIVE
- LIVE: Lawless on McConnell’s GOP Predictions, Russian Bots, & Student Walkouts Post-Florida
- LIVE: “Off The Mark” Cartoonist Parisi On Career and “Marty Pants” Book Series
- LIVE: NYT Bestselling Author Bloom On New Book “White Houses”
- LIVE: Graham Was “Right Man at Right Time,” Says Council of Churches’ Anderson
- Wednesday on LIVE: Bestselling Author Bloom, Cartoonist Parisi, & Rep. Amore Talks Guards at Schools
- LIVE: Feinberg Talks About Celebrating the Oscars at Flicker’s Red Carpet Experience
- Tuesday on LIVE: Five For Fighting’s Ondrasik and Historian Andrade-Watkins
- LIVE: John Ondrasik of Five For Fighting Coming to Greenwich Odeum
- LIVE: ‘Black Panther’ Wipes Away ‘Birth of a Nation’ Stereotypes, Says RI’s Andrade-Watkins
- LIVE: Public Art Organization, The Avenue Concept, on Ccopacatty’s Kennedy Plaza Installation