Wynton Marsalis, Joffrey Ballet Coming to FirstWorks Providence
Saturday, December 22, 2012
Wynton Marsalis--January 27
Wynton Marsalis is a Pulitzer Prize-winning musical icon and a master big-band leader in the tradition of Duke Ellington. The most outstanding jazz musician of his generation, his finest instrument is the renowned Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, hailed by the Chicago Tribune as "the greatest large jazz ensemble working today". Fifteen of jazz’s leading soloists sweep the audience into a foot-tapping, feel-good concert of the very best of American big band swing by Count Basie, Dizzy Gillespie and more.
The Joffrey Ballet--March 19
Celebrate the 100th anniversary of one of most magnificent dance and music masterpieces ever: The Rite of Spring, performed by the Joffrey Ballet. Sparking a riot that gave birth to modern music and dance, the original Stravinsky and Nijinsky production premiered in Paris in 1913, forever changing the way audiences hear and see.
The Joffrey Ballet has been hailed as “America’s Ballet Company of Firsts”. Forty-six of their superb dancers will perform The Rite of Spring, paired with thrilling contemporary works by two of the best choreographic minds of the 21st century. Don’t miss the first dance company to perform at the White House at Jacqueline Kennedy’s invitation, the first American company to visit Russia, the first to commission a rock ‘n roll ballet and the only dance company to appear on the cover of Time Magazine.
Special New Year's deal
Kick off your New Year by experiencing two of America’s cultural icons--and SAVE 15% on these landmark Providence events not to be missed in 2013. Receive 15% off a combined purchase of Wynton Marsalis & Joffrey Ballet tickets. Discount applies to any same-purchase combination of seats to both performances from the $38, $48 and $58 dollar levels. Offer valid: Dec. 20, 2012 through Jan. 12, 2013. USE CODE: SPRING 13 at the PPAC Box Office at 220 Weybosset St., Providence or call 401-421-ARTS (2787). Offer code not valid for online sales.
- Bill T. Jones Coming to FirstWorks
- Hot String Quartet Brooklyn Rider Coming to FirstWorks
- Review: “Blinking” at FirstWorks
- Dan Lawlor: FirstWorks Festival Made Providence a Classy City
- Jamie Jewett’s “Blinking” at FirstWorks
- Review: Pilobolus Opens FirstWorks Festival
- FirstWorks Announces 2011 Festival Schedule
- Jamie Jewett’s “Seven Veils” World Premiere Coming to FirstWorks
- Sweet Honey in the Rock Coming to FirstWorks
- FirstWorks Announces 7th Season to Run Sept 25-Nov 13
- La Excelencia Brings Hot Salsa to FirstWorks
- FirstWorks Festival Line-up Announced
- Laurie Anderson Returns to Providence for FirstWorks
- FirstWorks Takes Over Kennedy Plaza Sept. 29
- NEW: FirstWorks Lands International Islamic Arts Program
- FirstWorks to Feature AILEY II Workshops, Performances
- Pianist Christopher O’Riley at FirstWorks
- Gare St Lazare Brings Beckett to Dark, Comic Life at FirstWorks
- Pilobolus Opens FirstWorks Festival September 25