Trender: Musician/Artist Andrew Moon Bain
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Homegrown factor: Went to RISD, lives in Providence.
1. Where did you get your start in your field?
In high school, silk screening shirts for friends and airbrushing images on clothing. as well as doing murals for local business
2. How has living in Rhode Island played a role in your work?
I went to art school here so living in Providence has had a profound effect on my work. I also became engrossed in the local art scene with a handful of friends directly after college that greatly shaped the way I think about making work and my practice.
There are excellent artists living and working in Rhode Island and many are very active on national and international levels. I guess you just have to be in the right circles to know and see it but from my perspective it always seems to be bustling!
4. What's next for you?
After the New Mythologies show, I have a solo show at the AS220 project space in October. As well I am working on an album with my band, Boo City.
5. What's the biggest challenge about working in Rhode Island?
Staying out of the bars and being distracted by the dark side, i.e. my delinquent friends and colleagues.
The greatest reward?
The tightly knit community. Inspiring friends and the ability to hole up in my studio and focus on my craft. I guess it is a double-edged sword.
Haku's Green Veil, mixed media on panel, 36" x 36"
If you valued this article, please LIKE GoLocalProv.com on Facebook by clicking HERE.
- Trender: Monologue Master Kevin Broccoli
- Trender: Digital Artist Anne Spalter
- Trender: Perishable Theatre’s Vanessa Gilbert
- Trender: Jeweler Patrick McMillan
- TRENDER: Lifespan’s Social Media Guru Nancy Cawley Jean