The New Flat Stanley: “Red Chair” Arrives in Newport
Friday, August 17, 2012
Innkeepers Bill and Nancy Bagwill, owners of the Cliffside Inn in Newport, shot images of the Red Chair along Ten-Mile Drive, on the Cliff Walk, at several of Newport’s mansions, and many other notable Newport locations, including the Cliffside Inn.
How the Red Chair got its start
It all started last winter with a single image. Woods Hole Inn innkeeper Beth Colt posted a picture on Facebook of her simple red chair perched on the ice behind her house and watched her page light up with “likes”. The picture was shared on the Facebook page of Julie Ann Cromer, a photographer from Santa Barbara, CA, who was inspired by the image to visit the Woods Hole Inn. Julie’s visit resulted in a beautiful photo of the chair on Nobska Beach now hanging at the Woods Hole Inn. Colt blogged about the chair and soon interested fans were asking for more. This inspired Colt to share the chair with other innkeepers, sending it on a journey through towns and villages throughout Cape Cod last spring.
For a complete view of Red Chair photos, go here. Stories from the Red Chair’s travels have been chronicled on blogs at each stop. Look for tales of the Red Chair’s travels to the Cliffside Inn, here.
For more Travel + Lifestyle coverage, don't miss GoLocalTV, fresh every day at 4pm and on demand 24/7, here.
- New England’s Best Beach Towns 2012
- Top 10 Beach Towns: New England’s Best Beach Towns 2012
- Rankings List: New England’s Best Beach Towns 2012
- Five Things: The Conservatory at the Vanderbilt Grace, Newport
- Newport + Block Island Named Best Yachting Towns
- Forbes Names Newport Prettiest Town in America
- Beauty Buys Inspired by Newport
- Jacques Pépin Returns to Newport
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival 2012—Tickets Go On Sale
- World-Class Tennis Coming to Newport—Hall of Fame Championships