Save The Bay BFFs
Friday, July 16, 2010
The annual Citizens Bank/Save The Bay Swim this Saturday is more than a signature fundraiser for the stalwart environmental organization. It's become a rite and ritual for couples, friends, and families.
And so it is for Betsy McLaughlin and Toni La Bella, two 20-year-old competitive swimmers who grew up logging countless miles on swim teams together.
Saturday's 6:30am plunge into the waters of Narragansett Bay at Newport's Naval War College will be their fifth one together as best friends, swimmers, and waterborne fundraisers. GoLocalProv caught up with the young women at Warwick's McDermott Pool, where they train in the evenings, to talk about why this swim means so much to them.
For more information on the Citizens Bank/Save The Bay Swim, check online here. And if you'd like to support Betsy, Toni, or any other swimmer, you can make an online donation here. Need to know more? Call Save The Bay at 272-3540.
- Ironman Hits Rhode Island
- Ironman races across RI
- City of Providence, Northwest Woolen Mills and ProvPort team up to help Gulf Spill
- Is the Oil Spill Headed for Rhode Island?
- Official: Boating More Dangerous Than Driving
- TIMELINE: Oil Spills in Rhode Island
- The Gulf Coast Oil Spill: Could It Happen Here?