slides: RI Summer: Historic Aquidneck
Saturday, July 07, 2012
With Independence Day in the rear-view mirror, Jim focuses this week on historic sites he's photographed on Aquidneck. And how appropriate, as his home of Newport swells with the bristling masts of The Tall Ships Festival in port this weekend.
The English colonists first settled on present-day Aquidneck Island in the year 1638 in the region called by the Indians Pocasset ("where the stream widens"), the northern part of what is now Portsmouth.
The word Aquidneck is from the word aquidnet in the local Indian language, and literally means "floating-mass-at" or simply "at the island." At one time, what we now call Aquidneck Island was controlled by the Wampanoag Indians, whose leader was the famous Great Sachem or The Massasoit.
We believe that Aquidneck Island was used primarily as a hunting territory although it was probably a summer residence as well.
"We whose names are underwritten do here solemnly in the presence of Jehovah incorporate ourselves into a Bodie Politick and as he shall help, will submit our person, lives and estates unto our Lord Jesus Christ, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords and all those perfect and most absolute laws of his given us in his holy word of truth, to be guided and judged thereby."
Among those signing the Compact were William Coddington, one of the richest men in Boston, Dr. John Clarke, Samuel Gorton and William Hutchinson. Here they established that colony's first civil government. A year later the name "Portsmouth" was given to the settlement at a meeting in January of 1639.
Banished From the Massachusetts Bay Colony
Because of Her Devotion to Religious Liberty
This Courageous Woman
Sought Freedom From Persecution
In New Netherland
Near This Rock in 1643 She and Her Household
Were Massacred by Indians
This Table is placed here by the
Colonial Dames of the State of New York
Anno Domini MCMXI
Virtutes Majorum Fillae Conservant
Anne Hutchinson was honored in 1996 by the dedication of a plaque placed at Founders Brook Park on Aquidneck Island (Portsmouth), Rhode Island.
Located at the intersection of West Main Road (Rhode Island Route 114) and Rhode Island Route 24 on West Main Road
“Site of the Battle of Rhode Island has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This site possesses National significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. 1975. National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior”
One of the monuments on this site commemorates Bloody Run Brook, First Black Militia, R. Island Regt., August 29, 1778. "In honor of the first Black slaves and freemen who fought in the Battle of Rhode Island as members of the First Rhode Island Regiment The Black Regiment."
Our historic congregation was founded in 1828; the present-day Touro is an amalgam of two earlier congregations, one founded by German Jewish settlers, the other a Spanish-Portuguese synagogue whose families were largely of Sephardic background and who arrived from South America and the Caribbean.
The Redwood Library and Athenæum is the oldest lending library in America, and the oldest library building in continuous use in the country. Founded in 1747 by 46 proprietors upon the principle of "having nothing in view but the good of mankind," its mission continues over 250 years later. This statue of George Washington faces Catherine Street.
Many important events associated with the shaping of the United States occurred at the Colony House. In 1761, the death of George II and the ascension of George III was announced from the balcony. In 1766, citizens of Newport celebrated the repeal of the Stamp Act in and around the Colony House.
In January and May of 1773, the building served as the meeting site of the Commission of Inquiry into the burning of the British revenue schooner Gaspee by Patriots in 1772. On July 20, 1776, Major John Handy read the Declaration of Independence from the front steps. During the British occupation of Newport from 1776 to 1779, the Colony House was used as a barracks.
The Newport Tower (also known as: Round Tower, Touro Tower, Newport Stone Tower and Old Stone Mill) is a round stone tower located in Touro Park.
It is commonly considered to have been a windmill built in the mid-17th century. However, the tower has received attention due to speculation that it is actually several centuries older and represents evidence of pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact.
- James Clayton Sattel’s RI Summer: America’s Cup
- James Clayton Sattel’s RI Summer: Birds of Aquidneck
- James Clayton Sattel’s RI Summer: Racing
- James Clayton Sattel’s RI Summer: Reflections
- James Clayton Sattel’s RI Summer: Sunsets + Sunrises